Friday, December 23, 2011

Twas the night before who gives a fuck

I could really go for a V8. I know, that does sound weird, but not only is it true, but I actually did try to go for one, forgetting that I had already drank the one can I had left here at work. What brought on this sudden craving for a healthy beverage? List making. I wrote up a list this morning called "Shit That Needs to be Done Today" and so far the only thing I've accomplished is 'work on resume.' I sort of did 'honest effort at work' because I have done a few work things, but let's face it, it is the day before a three day weekend. So I thought I'd add 'cram something healthy into self' and then thought "ooh! V8! How simple." Guess it is a good thing I didn't actually write it on the list.

As I said above, I worked on my resume. Actually, I updated it and applied for another job within my company, one that would take me to the corporate side of things and find me reporting to someone in a different office. I don't think I'll be asked to transfer as the posting is listed as being for my office, but one never knows. I told J about the job last night and suggested he apply for it as well since it requires professional writing experience, of which he has oodles. It would be strange if he got the job and worked in my office, but only because Friend A is here. I think I could work in the same office as my husband/estranged husband/lover/adulterer/secret agent/whatever, just fine. There had been a posting for a similar job in another office and I wanted to apply for that as well but it disappeared before I had a chance. Boo hoo.

Speaking of J, he is coming over for pizza and beer and forgetfulness on the 25. He called the other night and the following came up in the course of our conversation:

J: "So, uh, what are you doing for Christmas?"
Me: "Celebrating the birth of the lord."
J: <laughter>
Me: "What?"
J: "No, it's just funny to hear you say it like that."
Me: "Do you want to come over for pizza and beer and forget all about Christmas like usual?"
J: "Yeah."

Poor J. I feel bad because he lives by himself in a studio apartment and doesn't really interact with anybody. But at the same time, he just doesn't seem to try to make friends or hang out with the ones he has so I try to be objective and understand that it is not healthy for either one of us for me to be his only friend. That was part of the problem when we were still living together. He was home all the fucking time and didn't speak to anyone other than maybe to teach. So then I'd get home and he'd be ready to interact and I'd be ready to just decompress because I'd been interacting all day. I became his only routine friend, his only outlet, and his only connection with society and it was too much for me.

I'll see him tonight after work. I have to stop by the library (yet again) and that is right down the street from him so I'm going to meet him for a drink. Then I'll get my book, head home, take a nap, and, upon waking, hit the chores hard. So much to vacuum, so much grown up stuff to deal with (rather than ignore), and so much trying to force myself to be an adult. I think I ought to give up on that because I say it all the time. It's like when I say "OK, I am going to be super healthy" and then I devolve into beer and nachos or something similar. If you don't have self discipline and are an adult, there isn't much external motivation to actually behave properly. Or maybe that's just me? I don't know. I don't care. My boss, who is on leave for the rest of the year, just came in and so now I have to look busy. And I get to cover the phones from 4-5. Jealous?

2 comments:

  1. V8 juice is good, you can use it for a soup base and stuff....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is true. I wasn't even thinking of old school tomato V8 though, but the fusion ones that taste of fruit more than veg.

    ReplyDelete