Monday, December 5, 2011

Lost: any semblance of intelligence. If found, please entrust to an adult

Today's challenge: be as stupid and forgetful as possible. How does one meet this challenge? Follow these easy steps:
  1. Disregard the fact that it is cold, there is a steady rain, and there are numerous, enormous puddles. Go for a run after work. 
  2. Stuff sneakers with newspaper to keep them from smelling horrendously next day and change into dry clothes. Put pig on floor, give self shot.
  3. Suddenly realize on December 5 that your car registration does not expire on December 25th; that is your car insurance, for which you've already received updated materials. Your registration expires on your birthday, December 8th, which is in three days. Shit.
  4. Suddenly remember that if you do not turn in your rent check today, you will be charged a $50 penalty. Put pig back in cage, apologizing all the while. Drive to the rental agency, remember that you also need to return library books, and root through your bag for your wallet. Remember that you went to lunch today and that you must have left your wallet in your jacket since you are unable to place your hand on it in your black hole of a bag. Turn your car back on only to remember that you did not wear a real jacket to lunch and that you must have put your wallet back into your bag. Find wallet, pay rent, drive to library to stuff books in drop box.
So that was my day. I should have known it would turn out like that since I overslept and was fifteen minutes late for work. I also had to email tech guys for an update for the sole purpose of not forgetting to do so. Do you ever do that? Follow up with people because you are jolted by the realization that you haven't done so and - oh shit, you almost forgot! - so you better do something now before you forget, again? Yep, that was how it all started.

But all in all, it was a good day with my getting a lot done and enjoying lunch with some girlfriends. And as reckless as it was to go for that run, I completed it and felt good about it afterwards. Besides, I'm supposed to exercise in order to stave off the old MS. And honestly, the fact that I can run really makes me happy. I don't know if I enjoy running at all, but I do it because I'm so please I can actually do it these days. I spent the bulk of my life thinking I just couldn't and then finally learned that I just pronate pretty badly. So now, whilst in the middle of a painful interval or whilst limping at the end, I feel a weird sense of accomplishment.

And it is, after all, my birthday week. No matter what happens, I have not only my day to look forward to, but my new year. So word up.

No comments:

Post a Comment