I just left J's place where he kindly let me take a shower. I thought not having hot water all weekend was bad enough but this morning I found out it won't be fixed until tomorrow so I quickly considered my options:
One bright spot is that I had taken today off from work anyhow and so didn't need to be too clean. My boss seemed to forget or disregard the fact that I was on paid leave and so texted me with an urgent request at 11:30 in the morning. I studiously ignored said text until, mmm, maybe 2? And even then I didn't do what he'd asked but just a lesser version, something far less laborious. After all, I put in 3+ hours on Sunday and today was a day off. Granted, I'm going to go back in and do some work on this report I need to complete, but that is something I decided I would use my weekend for, not some out of the blue request. So there.
Those 3+ hours of working actually took place in my home office, something I'm very pleased about. It means that I was not sitting in the recliner watching television all damned day. I needed to get my office into shape so that I would be comfortable in it for that reason. It is so easy to sit in the recliner with my laptop and work with bad TV in the background. Tearing myself away was the best thing for me - and admittedly, very easy because it was Sunday and TV is unwatchable during most of the day. Not that I didn't find a couple of episodes of "Jersey Shore" to be somewhat educational on Saturday, but the very fact that I put that program on speaks volumes.
Fortunately, I don't think I did permanent damage to myself with the cold showers and relentless reality television as I was recently complimented on my articulation. So as long as I can still say stuff good, I might could watch me just a bit more on the moving picture box.
- Cold shower. No thank you. I took one on Saturday and again yesterday (only without washing my hair the second time).
- Go to one of the vacant units maintenance is making available to residents of my and the other affected building. Tempting but felt I would have to constrain myself to some time limit, be around other people waiting to shower, and so on and so forth. I also wonder if there would be a shower curtain.
- Go to the gym. I did that once the last time my hot water was out and I felt conspicuous and low rent.
- Go to J's apartment (he'd offered when this first started).
One bright spot is that I had taken today off from work anyhow and so didn't need to be too clean. My boss seemed to forget or disregard the fact that I was on paid leave and so texted me with an urgent request at 11:30 in the morning. I studiously ignored said text until, mmm, maybe 2? And even then I didn't do what he'd asked but just a lesser version, something far less laborious. After all, I put in 3+ hours on Sunday and today was a day off. Granted, I'm going to go back in and do some work on this report I need to complete, but that is something I decided I would use my weekend for, not some out of the blue request. So there.
Those 3+ hours of working actually took place in my home office, something I'm very pleased about. It means that I was not sitting in the recliner watching television all damned day. I needed to get my office into shape so that I would be comfortable in it for that reason. It is so easy to sit in the recliner with my laptop and work with bad TV in the background. Tearing myself away was the best thing for me - and admittedly, very easy because it was Sunday and TV is unwatchable during most of the day. Not that I didn't find a couple of episodes of "Jersey Shore" to be somewhat educational on Saturday, but the very fact that I put that program on speaks volumes.
Fortunately, I don't think I did permanent damage to myself with the cold showers and relentless reality television as I was recently complimented on my articulation. So as long as I can still say stuff good, I might could watch me just a bit more on the moving picture box.
No comments:
Post a Comment