Friday, August 5, 2011

Jealousy and Mind Games

So much for another day of silent distance. J came over this evening to pick up his accumulated mail (seriously, how long does it take forwarding to go into effect?) and it came out that we both had to go to the store. Before leaving, J used my bathroom. When we were in the car, he asked, with the disclaimer of "look, I know this is none of my business and I have no right to be angry" whose toothbrush was in the bathroom, because there are currently two. I told him it was mine and he asked "you have two?" Yep. He, quite obviously, assumed that I'd had an overnight guest who hadn't brought his own dental tools and so I'd given him one of mine.

Nope. Eventually, because I knew he'd be angry until he knew the truth, I explained that I'd been too lazy until today to dig my toothbrush out of my suitcase and so I grabbed a new one. I may not floss like I should but I always have a good supply of new brushes.

I'm not sure which I find more disturbing, the idea that he still thinks I might fuck around on him or the fact that he thinks I would do so this quickly after our separation and regardless of the fact that I've told him I want things to work out between us. It also, of course, makes me wonder if I should worry the same about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment