Kin Twin and I recently discussed pop culture when I asked if he knew anything about certain reality tv programs. Last night, I began watching "The Real Housewives of New York" on demand. Seriously, my television watching could lead me to keep a TV blog. But the real housewives are hilarious and I'm in love. I'm working from home today and as I format minutes from a meeting this morning, I'm watching the reunion special. Have you ever listened to a number of women talk and argue all at one time? Like squawking chickens! It's fabulous! If I had started earlier in the season, I would have submitted a question for the reunion. What would I have asked?
The other show I've fallen in love with is MTV's "Awkward." Have you seen this? Super fun. I think this is the first teenage drama/show/thing that I've seen in which the main character is not popular but there is an acknowledgment that she isn't a total social outcast. And while some of the dialogue seems totally contrived (skadoodlze?), these kids say things like "tits", which I appreciate. Obviously, you aren't going to hear real language, even on a cable program, so it is really nice to at least hear 'tits' rather than 'boobs' or some euphemism. And they are extremely current with their material. The second episode featured the mean cheerleader taking a cell phone picture of the protagonist's tits when she was changing in the locker room and sending it viral. Super current and it was NOT handled in an after school special way but dealt with what kids really care about. Teenagers don't think about sexual predators or long term consequences. They think about everyone in their school seeing the picture and making fun of them. So well done, MTV.
So yeah, that's what I did with myself yesterday, found new shows to entertain me. Hey, when you have a lot of time on your own, you have to do something.
I feel myself slipping away in some respects. I know who I am and what I am like but I fear that I am losing some of it. It sounds ridiculous, but I don't think I've watched so much tv as I am now in the last 12 years. I joke about it and make fun, but it is so unlike me. I fear that some of my fun and strength are being stripped way because I am so emotionally taxed right now. I've been through a lot in my time, death, abuse, homelessness, but it all happened before I was fully grown up. Now, when I have a better understanding of things, life, emotions, etc, I'm hit with a disease, a separation, and news that my disease is 'active.' And some of me is just too weak to remain intact. I don't know what to do...
"What do you think about the United States losing its triple A credit rating and do you think the government would have decided to revisit the issue in six months if it wasn't an election year?"Of course, no one would want to know their answers. But come on!! These bitches are arguing about the dumbest shit and they are all so privileged and fortunate and their problems are being treated with the same attention as would be given at a Geneva convention.
The other show I've fallen in love with is MTV's "Awkward." Have you seen this? Super fun. I think this is the first teenage drama/show/thing that I've seen in which the main character is not popular but there is an acknowledgment that she isn't a total social outcast. And while some of the dialogue seems totally contrived (skadoodlze?), these kids say things like "tits", which I appreciate. Obviously, you aren't going to hear real language, even on a cable program, so it is really nice to at least hear 'tits' rather than 'boobs' or some euphemism. And they are extremely current with their material. The second episode featured the mean cheerleader taking a cell phone picture of the protagonist's tits when she was changing in the locker room and sending it viral. Super current and it was NOT handled in an after school special way but dealt with what kids really care about. Teenagers don't think about sexual predators or long term consequences. They think about everyone in their school seeing the picture and making fun of them. So well done, MTV.
So yeah, that's what I did with myself yesterday, found new shows to entertain me. Hey, when you have a lot of time on your own, you have to do something.
I feel myself slipping away in some respects. I know who I am and what I am like but I fear that I am losing some of it. It sounds ridiculous, but I don't think I've watched so much tv as I am now in the last 12 years. I joke about it and make fun, but it is so unlike me. I fear that some of my fun and strength are being stripped way because I am so emotionally taxed right now. I've been through a lot in my time, death, abuse, homelessness, but it all happened before I was fully grown up. Now, when I have a better understanding of things, life, emotions, etc, I'm hit with a disease, a separation, and news that my disease is 'active.' And some of me is just too weak to remain intact. I don't know what to do...
you know what you do, you rent Real Housewives of NY but start at season 1, because Bethanny is the bomb. And then move on to Mob Wives!
ReplyDeleteI totally should but Netflix doesn't seem to have it. I look forward to a new season or any variety of this show and will look out for mob wives.
ReplyDelete