I am not a clinical person in any sense of the word. I have a liberal arts degree in English and Psychology that I achieved in 2005. My first job outside of college was working as a front desk clerk for a hotel, wearing a polyester vest and a name tag. I moved to working as a depositor, writing out deposit slips for physicians' offices and entering the numbers into a computer system. Today I recruit and credential physicians to review for my company.
Through my present company, I have a much better understanding of health insurance and am convinced that instead of PE, we should be teaching coordination of benefits in our schools. I have seen some nasty shit through quality review and some true atrocities when it comes to health care denials that my company has overturned. But the most important thing I've learned is that nurses and physicians should be the ones who make the policies regarding health care, whether it be private insurers or Medicaid/Medicare.
So why is it that policy makers are not required to have a clinical degree? Why is our government supposed to determine health care reform without consulting with medical boards? Unless every single senator and representative in my state has a clinical degree (MD, RN, DO), I don't understand why I should trust what they think is adequate care. And if the government states that care should be rendered at the appropriate setting without considering the social setting, I don't want to be told that my company should have approved a certain stay (which has happened in the past when the state, which mandates that my company simply looks at the medical issue, should have approved a claim because the person's social situation called for something different).
It makes it a little easier for me to be less upset or frustrated about the debt crisis. I doubt that the people trying to hammer out a plan are those with financial degrees, CPAs and the like. I doubt very much that the financial and economic experts are the ones fighting this battle. Instead, we have people from both major parties who have the American people in mind but they have to deal with the other members who are posturing for the next election. We are supposed to be a country of the people and for the people but how is that true when the people making the decisions do not necessarily have the expertise to really speak for the people?
Damn it.
Through my present company, I have a much better understanding of health insurance and am convinced that instead of PE, we should be teaching coordination of benefits in our schools. I have seen some nasty shit through quality review and some true atrocities when it comes to health care denials that my company has overturned. But the most important thing I've learned is that nurses and physicians should be the ones who make the policies regarding health care, whether it be private insurers or Medicaid/Medicare.
So why is it that policy makers are not required to have a clinical degree? Why is our government supposed to determine health care reform without consulting with medical boards? Unless every single senator and representative in my state has a clinical degree (MD, RN, DO), I don't understand why I should trust what they think is adequate care. And if the government states that care should be rendered at the appropriate setting without considering the social setting, I don't want to be told that my company should have approved a certain stay (which has happened in the past when the state, which mandates that my company simply looks at the medical issue, should have approved a claim because the person's social situation called for something different).
It makes it a little easier for me to be less upset or frustrated about the debt crisis. I doubt that the people trying to hammer out a plan are those with financial degrees, CPAs and the like. I doubt very much that the financial and economic experts are the ones fighting this battle. Instead, we have people from both major parties who have the American people in mind but they have to deal with the other members who are posturing for the next election. We are supposed to be a country of the people and for the people but how is that true when the people making the decisions do not necessarily have the expertise to really speak for the people?
Damn it.
No comments:
Post a Comment