Thursday, April 19, 2012

In Which I've Been Listening to Gotye On Repeat...

and don't care about my audience.

I haven't heard from J since March 24, the last time he responded to an email, the one in which he said he couldn't accept half our tax return. He can't face me, talk to me, deal with me, handle me. He can't respond.

I understand it, I think. No, no I don't because I'm not him and I don't know his feelings. I assume it's because he's hurting and it's too painful. Or maybe he's angry? The truth is, I don't know why he can't interact with me but I know it's because I've left him for good. I have to hope that he's OK based on the fact that I emailed him after the 24th of March to let him know I transferred money into our joint account for the Verizon bill and that money has been withdrawn. I cling to that and am somewhat reconciled that I'll have a once monthly reminder that he is OK as I'll email him each month with the same subject line "I've transferred money into the joint account for the Verizon bill" and I'll monitor said account to see that it has been withdrawn.

I'm angry with myself and, I don't know, the universe maybe, that whilst I know I forfeited any right to hurt and upset when I made the final decision, I still feel so torn up inside. I know what my role in this is and yet I can't help but be incredibly sad and angry about it. I'm not angry at J, not at all. I'm just angry. I go about my day and deal with things, all things, in my life, but I have this ghost or shadow hanging over me all the time. This desperate feeling because all I have left of J is silence. It's a constant reminder of the hurt I've caused him.

I don't think he wants me to feel like this. Again, I obviously don't know what he wants or what he feels, but I have known him for nearly eight years and he's neither cruel nor malicious. So I don't think he'd clap and be happy to know that the wife that kicked him out, the wife that said "divorce" feels... feels what exactly? Sad. Devastated. Worried. Wrecked. Terrified. Guilty. So, so guilty. I don't think that would make him feel good at all. I don't for a moment think that his silence is a way of getting back at me. But I suppose, if it is, I'd have to say well done.

Every so often it deluges me, just as MS used to. I remember breaking down out of nowhere and wondering "when am I going to get used to this inevitable thing that has entered my life? When am I going to stop freaking out? Stop crying about it? When will it just be a part of me that I can deal with and not think about constantly?" That's how I feel about J and our break up. I remember the relief I felt when I finally told him that it was just over, relief because I was finally honest and we could start moving on without clinging to something that was no longer there, the spider webs where a foundation once stood.

It's "funny" because I used to tell him that if we ever split up I could never be his friend as we were never friends to begin with. No, we actually dated and then were boyfriend and girlfriend before husband and wife. Now I'm facing that reality from the other side. I can't imagine or comprehend a life where I don't know him, don't talk to him, don't have an idea of what is going on in his life. It isn't even about wanting to take care of him anymore. I just like the guy and I want to know what he is up to.

And I completely understand and appreciate why I don't get that and why I have no right to it. I understand that, just as I understand that I have no right to feel sorry for myself as this was MY decision, but that doesn't take away the pain that I feel and it doesn't help me shutter my emotions. It still hurts, very deeply and almost continuously. I don't talk about it with my friends or family because I feel ashamed and selfish to admit to these feelings when, again, it's my doing. I don't even really allow myself to think about it too often because it just makes me angry at myself for being weak, selfish, childish, and awful. Make your bed and lie in it without bitching about what you've created.

But it's there, he's there, every moment of my life.

9 comments:

  1. well said simply girl. You should write a book and become rich and famous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And on what subject would you suggest I write, exactly? Being a selfish, crybaby, shit? We have reality TV for that particular niche.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so raw. I admire the range of emotions you allow yourself to feel and express. I have so mandy firends, and myself, that escapes once I start to feel any sort of pain. Through food, or alcohol, sex, weed. It's beautiful reading your blog, though I can't even imagine what your going through. I wish you the best...and send my love. You'll get through...and everything's okay...even when it's not:) Take care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, Banana? Fucking love it and am jealous I didn't think of a better moniker for myself! Banana, so simple, so easy!

      Secondly, thank you for your lovely compliments. I'm sincerely flattered that you enjoy my blog.

      Delete
  4. I echo Banana's sentiments. (Wow, that sentence is lovely isn't it?) And on a personal note, you have my deepest empathy. I understand what you're feeling and it's ok to hurt and grieve regardless of the fact that you initiated the seperation. It's a different kind of pain perhaps, but it isn't any less. The guilt is terribly painful. Love you, Punkin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Punkin'. I love you and wish we could see each other every so often!

      Puddin'

      Delete
  5. Every so often would be perfect, otherwise we'd be winos and fat from all the cheese and tater tots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always drawn to read more due to your honesty and frankness. I <3 You x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet girl! I wonder at those who appreciate my candidness because it is just second nature to me. I love you and hope you are well. I see your posts on facebook where you are loving and missing Nate and my heart breaks a little and I never know what to say. But you are never far from my thoughts.

      Delete