Friday was, obviously, a bit difficult. I was OK for the most part, until the evening hit and I suddenly became very emotional. It was, after all, my fifth wedding anniversary and I am married to a man that I will be divorcing. I ended up feeling like Hell and, well, if you saw my last post you can probably imagine how badly I felt. I eventually texted Upstairs Kid to see if he was awake and available and we went to the local bar to drink. I basically drank too much and was sad. Because that is how I deal with events like Friday.
It worked out in my favor, however, as UK presented me with a phenomenal opportunity. There was a sale going on and we could purchase a Beretta, a very lovely pistol. J told me quite frankly that he could not take half of our tax return even though I offered and so I had a bit of disposable income. My plan all along, upon realizing it was all mine, was to put half of it on my credit card to pay it down and use the rest for living expenses and one bit of fun. I just didn't know that my bit of fun would come so soon. UK and I went to this particular gun store (conveniently located next to a pawn shop) and purchased Clyde, my new boyfriend. We went in halfsies. It's in my name because UK is a 21 year old black guy and he didn't know if he'd have an ID in time (he did) and because young black men are looked at as suspect, because the US is still a racist nation.
It took me three tries to fill out the paperwork because you have to be exact. No abbreviations are allowed and if you fuck up, you can't cross out and fix, you have to start over. I felt like I'd passed a final exam in college when I did it appropriately the last time and exhaled, not realizing I'd been holding my breath. UK had to buy me two beers afterwards because I'd had such a hard time. But it was sooooo worth it because now we have Clyde! One day UK might buy me out and I'll have my money back or else I'll buy him out and I'll have self protection, something I've thought about since J and I split up and I realized I was living alone again. Shooting is something I've fallen in love with as a hobby. I'm a very physical and visceral person, one who enjoys feeling connected to what I'm doing. That's why I don't like 22mm guns, I don't feel connected to the power. But this gun has the weight I like. We even handled 1911s so that I could make sure I was comfortable and I loved the 1911 we'd shot last week. So we have a reliable weapon to shoot, not needing to rent from the range, and can just go in and shoot.
I know, it isn't necessarily something that everyone will understand. I never thought I'd be a gun owner myself. But it's something that I've fallen in love with. Whilst at the bar, UK and I both mentioned how much we'd like to have land in order to go out back and just shoot. Hunter has that ability because of his life and if I ever get to visit him, I'm certain he'll take me out to just shoot out in the open. It's a fantastic feeling and honestly, this is the third best purchase I've ever made (1st is Johan, my guinea pig, the 2nd is a hotwheels car I bought the other day).
And so here he is, my new boyfriend, Clyde. Isn't he stunning?
Judge my nail polish all you want. Hunter has already disagreed with it but I don't care because I like it. I also find it fitting for photos of my handling my gun.
It worked out in my favor, however, as UK presented me with a phenomenal opportunity. There was a sale going on and we could purchase a Beretta, a very lovely pistol. J told me quite frankly that he could not take half of our tax return even though I offered and so I had a bit of disposable income. My plan all along, upon realizing it was all mine, was to put half of it on my credit card to pay it down and use the rest for living expenses and one bit of fun. I just didn't know that my bit of fun would come so soon. UK and I went to this particular gun store (conveniently located next to a pawn shop) and purchased Clyde, my new boyfriend. We went in halfsies. It's in my name because UK is a 21 year old black guy and he didn't know if he'd have an ID in time (he did) and because young black men are looked at as suspect, because the US is still a racist nation.
It took me three tries to fill out the paperwork because you have to be exact. No abbreviations are allowed and if you fuck up, you can't cross out and fix, you have to start over. I felt like I'd passed a final exam in college when I did it appropriately the last time and exhaled, not realizing I'd been holding my breath. UK had to buy me two beers afterwards because I'd had such a hard time. But it was sooooo worth it because now we have Clyde! One day UK might buy me out and I'll have my money back or else I'll buy him out and I'll have self protection, something I've thought about since J and I split up and I realized I was living alone again. Shooting is something I've fallen in love with as a hobby. I'm a very physical and visceral person, one who enjoys feeling connected to what I'm doing. That's why I don't like 22mm guns, I don't feel connected to the power. But this gun has the weight I like. We even handled 1911s so that I could make sure I was comfortable and I loved the 1911 we'd shot last week. So we have a reliable weapon to shoot, not needing to rent from the range, and can just go in and shoot.
I know, it isn't necessarily something that everyone will understand. I never thought I'd be a gun owner myself. But it's something that I've fallen in love with. Whilst at the bar, UK and I both mentioned how much we'd like to have land in order to go out back and just shoot. Hunter has that ability because of his life and if I ever get to visit him, I'm certain he'll take me out to just shoot out in the open. It's a fantastic feeling and honestly, this is the third best purchase I've ever made (1st is Johan, my guinea pig, the 2nd is a hotwheels car I bought the other day).
And so here he is, my new boyfriend, Clyde. Isn't he stunning?
Judge my nail polish all you want. Hunter has already disagreed with it but I don't care because I like it. I also find it fitting for photos of my handling my gun.

Don't be like Ralphie from A Christmas Story ... "you'll shoot your eye out, kid".
ReplyDeleteExcellent advice.
ReplyDelete