Friday, September 16, 2011

Burn baby burn

If I ever decide to quit my job, I plan on burning bridges. That is how frustrated I get with this lot and, more to the point, how much I would like to ef over certain individuals. Take NWCW, for example. Those of you who have known me since the MySpace days will remember my ceaseless frequent bitching complaints regarding my colleague who shirked all duty in favor of personal emails and phone calls, thus earning the nickname No Worker Co Worker, or NWCW.

Yesterday I was sick having spent the night with my organs doing their best to rip themselves from my body. So I used a vacation day and stayed in bed with a book. When I felt that I was OK and no longer quite so very ill, I felt guilty and so checked my work email. This is never a good idea but one that leaves me feeling my blood boil and my heart pound as I clench my fist and my teeth and think terrible, awful, ugly thoughts. Yesterday was especially bad with me wanting to throw things, something I very rarely do. One of the people in my old department had assigned a review to a new reviewer and emailed me, copying NWCW and New Girl, asking if this person was set up on the web and what her user information was. NWCW replied saying that the reviewer had not been set up and that I was out of the office.

And that was that. NWCW essentially said "no, she's not, and Cat isn't here so she isn't going to be set up." I took care of that shit right away. I forwarded the entire email to my old boss, and explained that this was why I wanted her staff to understand that they can take care of these things in my absence. I honestly do not mind helping out my former department, to which I remain incredibly loyal. Sometimes I'm the only one who can take care of an issue because of access I have to different resources. But when I am routinely asked to take care of something that several other people can take care of themselves, well that just pisses me the fuck off and I want to yell and stomp and spit.

But I didn't. I emailed back and forth with my old boss, sent a very professional email to the three involved explaining that a request would have to be entered (which they can all fucking do) and what the user information was. I also explained the naming methodology for user names and passwords going forward, explaining that I merely need to be copied on the request so that I can update files. My old boss followed up by responding to the email stating, simply, that they aren't to expect me to take care of this sort of thing when I am using a vacation day and that they need to be self-sufficient.


So hurrah, I suppose.

But then there is also the issue of my boss, who likes to behave like an elliptinipple as often as possible these days. He's a nice guy and a great friend but I fucking. hate. working. for. him. And this morning has just really put the icing on the cake. He told me to contact a reviewer because we need her reports today. Because the client is breathing down Elliptinipple's neck because we are super late on the deliverable (because EN promised too much without know what needed to be done or how to get those things done). So he told me to contact her. I did, and was very polite in my email (I hope). But I can't force her. He doesn't want to do it himself because he's a pussy. So he'll have me do it. Fine. Done. I mention that someone is having trouble with a password and that a colleague needed him to look into it and he basically said "I don't know why that would be because I did my part" and looked at me with a confused "I can't help this person. This is for someone else" look. I wanted to hit him.

But instead, I need to just breathe and remember that none of this matters. It's just a job and a place where I go for nine hours to be psychologically tormented. I make a decent wage, I have health benefits, and I don't live in Libya. I just need to stop taking it so seriously and thinking about it so much. Like the quote (which I am seeing everywhere these days) goes:

"That way madness lies.
Let me shun that.
No more of that."
 Oh, Shakespeare! I may not be the biggest fan of your plays, but I do love your way with words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment