If it turns out that I have leukemia on top of MS, I'll just go ahead and lose my shit altogether. I received not one but two phone calls from my neurologist's office today. The first was to inform me that although my health insurance company had approved authorization for the Provigil, they had denied the dosage. So I had to call the insurance and find out what that meant. Nothing really. I just can't take the amount neuro wants me to but I wasn't sure I'd need to anyway. And I was told I'd only been given 15 pills so I wasn't going to owe anything, although I was allowed 31 pills and would have to pay another $50 if I wanted the other half. Fantastic. Took a week and a half for my insurance to complete the prior authorization, I finally pick up the drug, and now I have *issues*. Fortunately, it worked out in the end as I just found out when I was at the pharmacy. I was given 30 pills, not 15, just of a different dosage. So no harm, no foul, just a bit of anxiety to liven up the day.
The second call came minutes before a 4 o'clock meeting. I was informed that my neuro wanted me to follow up with my PCP because my blood work came back and showed a low red blood count. Mine is 2.6, the same as a healthy child's. I can't recall another time in my life when I've had this so I'm a bit troubled. I'm hoping that it was just a mix up at the lab but it could also be a fluke, one time thing, anemia, or leukemia. Normally I'm pretty chill and relaxed about this sort of thing but not since the out of nowhere MS diagnosis. The last time I had anything out of the ordinary happen, it turned out to be a chronic, life-long disease of the central nervous system. I don't think I can be chided for being a bit gun shy or easily spooked or whichever turn of phrase is best suited. I tried to get the lab report but it was too late to do anything more but fax a release of medical records request back and forth. I don't know why I even bothered as I shall be seeing my PCP at 8 a.m. on Monday morning, long before I'll see the report now.
But I haven't bruised more easily than usual lately, and I haven't suffered tremendous fatigue or weakness. I find that odd, actually, given that I used to suffer fatigue before my diagnosis. No real chance of me feeling that now, of course, not with the Provigil in my system. But I think bruising is a thing, isn't it, with leukemia?
I'm sure it's nothing; I'll just be happier when one of my doctors tells me so.
The second call came minutes before a 4 o'clock meeting. I was informed that my neuro wanted me to follow up with my PCP because my blood work came back and showed a low red blood count. Mine is 2.6, the same as a healthy child's. I can't recall another time in my life when I've had this so I'm a bit troubled. I'm hoping that it was just a mix up at the lab but it could also be a fluke, one time thing, anemia, or leukemia. Normally I'm pretty chill and relaxed about this sort of thing but not since the out of nowhere MS diagnosis. The last time I had anything out of the ordinary happen, it turned out to be a chronic, life-long disease of the central nervous system. I don't think I can be chided for being a bit gun shy or easily spooked or whichever turn of phrase is best suited. I tried to get the lab report but it was too late to do anything more but fax a release of medical records request back and forth. I don't know why I even bothered as I shall be seeing my PCP at 8 a.m. on Monday morning, long before I'll see the report now.
But I haven't bruised more easily than usual lately, and I haven't suffered tremendous fatigue or weakness. I find that odd, actually, given that I used to suffer fatigue before my diagnosis. No real chance of me feeling that now, of course, not with the Provigil in my system. But I think bruising is a thing, isn't it, with leukemia?
I'm sure it's nothing; I'll just be happier when one of my doctors tells me so.
No comments:
Post a Comment