Do you ever do goofy "I should" shit? I am presently re-reading Candide because I feel like I need to academic myself up a bit and make my student loan debt somewhat worthwhile. I remembered very little from my first reading - point of fact, I only remembered that there was a character missing a buttock. So I picked up a copy at a used bookstore and have been dedicating a portion of my free time to reading it thoroughly to include the end notes. This is, quite obviously, a very good book. I'm enjoying it immensely although I am more than certain that I am missing out on a lot of stuff that truly smart individuals get immediately.
I feel like I should read more philosophy in order to get a decent understanding of the various theories on the human condition. I feel like I should give more of my time to historical works so that I'll know about important things like "a car in every garage and a chicken in every pot" (I vaguely recall from 8th grade Civics that a president had that as a slogan or something) and various important battles/wars and social changes. Hell, I should pay more attention to health care reform and the battles being waged between the democrats and republicans regarding budgetary funding.
These are things I think I should do, which means I do some of them, a little bit, every now and again. It's just that, well, have you seen the British programs Top Gear and James May's Road Trip? Have you seen Zombie Land, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and The Devil Wears Prada? Have you seen any detective series based in the 1930's - 1950's? These are all really great things to watch and so much more enjoyable than figuring out where to start educating one's self on history, politics, philosophy, social reform, governmental matters, etc.
Is it me? Am I just, like, the laziest mother fucker on the planet or are we all like this? Is it a lazy American thing? Who knows. All I know is that sometimes you can actually enjoy things that are self-imposed shoulds while others will always be utter crap.
So there. Back to my usual self.
No comments:
Post a Comment