I spent my formative years in an exciting place called Bear, Delaware. I think I've mentioned it before. It's not really a town, just a zip-code, a few stretches of highway, and a couple of strip malls. Delaware is the kind of place you either love or hate. Yesterday, I spoke to a South African physician who had been in the US for 31 years, previously in Boston, who simply loves Delaware. J and I are the "congratulations on getting out" types.
That being said, I am not immune to the phenomenon that is state loyalty and pride. I know which celebrities are from my little non-state, which ice skaters have trained in the University of Delaware facilities, and what technology Apple got from work done at said university. It is what it is. I spent so many years there that it is a part of me and always will be.
So it is rather exciting to know that people my age, ones I grew up with and went to school with, are involved in something as rad as a freaking rap movement. I've seen a few posts on facebook but I watched one this morning before work that laid it out for me. All We Got is Us is something of a collective rap effort where friends help friends, promote friends, produce friends, etc. No money exchanges hands, no money is required or encouraged. It's really very neat (says the very white girl from Bear, Delaware). Check them out. www.allwegotis.us. Seriously, I went to high school with some of these kids.

No comments:
Post a Comment