Sunday, December 8, was my birthday and I turned 39. Am I panicky about barreling towards 40? No, but I'm a bit bummed because I always think of how great my thirties have been. Nothing against my twenties, I just insist I really enjoyed my thirties, regardless of some of the more difficult things that happened and upon which we will not dwell.
The day itself was so low key as to not really even feel like a birthday. SA (yep, Spanish Andy and I are still together) and I ran some errands, I read a book whilst he played "Red Dead Redeemer"*, I took a random nap at 7pm, and we watched Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade whilst eating turkey and stuffing. Not very memorable, eh? In all fairness, I'm pretty sure if there was anything I'd wanted to do to make it special, SA would have been more than willing to do it. And we'd basically celebrated about two weeks ago when he took me to see A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (needed wayyy more Mr. Rogers) and then ended up buying me a stack of books at Half Price Books. Yeah, I'm high maintenance and demanding like that. He also recently bought these fairly expensive night stands that will be delivered after Christmas so I felt like I couldn't ask for more.**
I've decided to make a few changes in my life this year, treating it like I normally treat NYE only hoping to be more successful than I have been with past resolutions (why I think I'll be more successful by starting a few weeks early I do not know). Nothing major. I'd like to be better about working out and even added a third day to my schedule (began that last week so no progress to track quite yet). Lockers and laundry service were being sold for half price if you took a bottom one so I snatched one up to make it a bit easier on myself. Now, rather than having to schlep my gym crap to and from work, I can store extra clothes there and, if I really get my shit together, shower at the gym and leave my dirty clothes behind to be washed, folded, and placed, lovingly, back in the locker. It sounds ridiculous but this is very attractive to me.
I'd also like to clean up my eating but I doubt that is going to happen so I'm not putting it on the list. Other than that, just be more responsible and grown up and quit smoking. I haven't had a cigarette since Saturday! Weeeeee! Of course, as I write this, it is only Monday early evening so maybe I should hold off on the celebrating until I've got a week or a month under my belt. As to being more responsible and grown up, I feel like I definitely deserve a star for my chore chart today. After work I stopped to pick up my dry cleaning (that sounds so grown up, doesn't it? This is the first time in my memory that I've ever had anything dry cleaned [just a winter coat in desperate need]) and stopped at the leasing office to pick up a parcel and got my mail.
That means I also had to haul my work bag, my overnight bag, the parcel, the mail, and the dry cleaning up the three flights of stairs to my apartment when I was finally done. I know, I'm amazing. So amazing that I immediately put things away, fed animals, threw my quilt in the washer after removing ALL the hairballs that Bubbles lovingly decorated it with, and began cleaning out the litter box before giving a thought to my own comfort or desire to sit down and decompress. Teddy Bear, who is new to this blog for anyone who might stumble across it after my 2+ year absence, graciously climbed into the litter box and actively began crapping as I was scooping the rest. ***Seriously, bro? I had to just stand up and wait for him to finish and then go through his weird dance of covering it up. This includes him using his front right paw to cover, then turning around and using his non-existent front left paw, then turning ninety degrees and repeating the process. As fun as it is to see his left shoulder working because the poor dummy doesn't realize he no longer has that leg (amputated about six months ago, a month or two before he came to live with me) cat shit is ridiculously malodorous and I was standing there with a bag of it already and just wanted to get a move on.
There are a few other things I need to take care of, like sorting out the rest of the laundry I want to do and sweeping and vacuuming, the most Sisyphean of chores. But I thought I'd treat myself to a nice cup of coffee (Starbucks Blond Verdana blend with enough half and half to give it a dark beige color) and open the more pressing of mail items (the parcel is my Book of the Month Club book because I'm totally not a nerd who listens to the radio on weekends and belongs to a book of the month club) and consider browsing Amazon since the most pressing of mail items was a gift card. But now, feeling a bit rested, I think I'll plow on. I'm going to try to keep up with this. Over the weekend I randomly looked up an old blog that I used to follow and thought, meh, why not dust off my crappy blog and maybe use it to keep track of any progress I might make? If nothing else, it might give me something to do on slow work days (for which I am grateful because this time of year I am happy when I have fuck all to do at work).
Ta for now.
*I may have the name of it wrong but I am pretty sure it is Red Dead Redeemer. Or is it Redemption? It's probably Redemption. Something I learned fairly quickly when SA and I started seeing one another regularly is that homie is a gamer. Big time. I wonder if I mentioned this back in April of 2017? I'm not even going to check because I'm too exhausted from being responsible and grown up. But yeah, huge gamer. So, back when we were just getting to know one another, I sat and thought to myself "will I be OK if this is my life?" By that I meant, will I be happy to sit in a chair next to him reading my book while he spends hours and hours playing video games? And honestly, yeah, I will. I mean, I'll go up to his bedroom when the chair starts making my legs hurt but reading is my very favorite thing to do so it's nice to be able to just sit and do that but still spend time with him. And twice now I've actually started playing games with him ("Ark" and "World of Warcraft Classic").
**I started out using a stool for a nightstand at his place and later, upgraded it to two stools. But I asked him ages and ages ago if we could get a proper piece of furniture and he hemmed and hawed and I was disheartened and tuned him out about his reasoning and just figured, nope, not going to happen. I just wanted something from Ikea or Wal-mart that could hold books, a lamp, my glasses, and a beverage without it feeling somewhat precarious. He ended up purchasing these marble top affairs with cubby space and a secret drawer.
***Because - new found responsibility and grownupness aside - I am lazy and not a blogger and have always been bad at this anyway, it will be fun to see if I remember the names I used for people. I probably won't so I'll just give the back story for anyone I mention. I only remember SA because that was the last thing I evidently blogged about so it appeared when I pulled this tripe back up.
The day itself was so low key as to not really even feel like a birthday. SA (yep, Spanish Andy and I are still together) and I ran some errands, I read a book whilst he played "Red Dead Redeemer"*, I took a random nap at 7pm, and we watched Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade whilst eating turkey and stuffing. Not very memorable, eh? In all fairness, I'm pretty sure if there was anything I'd wanted to do to make it special, SA would have been more than willing to do it. And we'd basically celebrated about two weeks ago when he took me to see A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (needed wayyy more Mr. Rogers) and then ended up buying me a stack of books at Half Price Books. Yeah, I'm high maintenance and demanding like that. He also recently bought these fairly expensive night stands that will be delivered after Christmas so I felt like I couldn't ask for more.**
I've decided to make a few changes in my life this year, treating it like I normally treat NYE only hoping to be more successful than I have been with past resolutions (why I think I'll be more successful by starting a few weeks early I do not know). Nothing major. I'd like to be better about working out and even added a third day to my schedule (began that last week so no progress to track quite yet). Lockers and laundry service were being sold for half price if you took a bottom one so I snatched one up to make it a bit easier on myself. Now, rather than having to schlep my gym crap to and from work, I can store extra clothes there and, if I really get my shit together, shower at the gym and leave my dirty clothes behind to be washed, folded, and placed, lovingly, back in the locker. It sounds ridiculous but this is very attractive to me.
I'd also like to clean up my eating but I doubt that is going to happen so I'm not putting it on the list. Other than that, just be more responsible and grown up and quit smoking. I haven't had a cigarette since Saturday! Weeeeee! Of course, as I write this, it is only Monday early evening so maybe I should hold off on the celebrating until I've got a week or a month under my belt. As to being more responsible and grown up, I feel like I definitely deserve a star for my chore chart today. After work I stopped to pick up my dry cleaning (that sounds so grown up, doesn't it? This is the first time in my memory that I've ever had anything dry cleaned [just a winter coat in desperate need]) and stopped at the leasing office to pick up a parcel and got my mail.
That means I also had to haul my work bag, my overnight bag, the parcel, the mail, and the dry cleaning up the three flights of stairs to my apartment when I was finally done. I know, I'm amazing. So amazing that I immediately put things away, fed animals, threw my quilt in the washer after removing ALL the hairballs that Bubbles lovingly decorated it with, and began cleaning out the litter box before giving a thought to my own comfort or desire to sit down and decompress. Teddy Bear, who is new to this blog for anyone who might stumble across it after my 2+ year absence, graciously climbed into the litter box and actively began crapping as I was scooping the rest. ***Seriously, bro? I had to just stand up and wait for him to finish and then go through his weird dance of covering it up. This includes him using his front right paw to cover, then turning around and using his non-existent front left paw, then turning ninety degrees and repeating the process. As fun as it is to see his left shoulder working because the poor dummy doesn't realize he no longer has that leg (amputated about six months ago, a month or two before he came to live with me) cat shit is ridiculously malodorous and I was standing there with a bag of it already and just wanted to get a move on.
There are a few other things I need to take care of, like sorting out the rest of the laundry I want to do and sweeping and vacuuming, the most Sisyphean of chores. But I thought I'd treat myself to a nice cup of coffee (Starbucks Blond Verdana blend with enough half and half to give it a dark beige color) and open the more pressing of mail items (the parcel is my Book of the Month Club book because I'm totally not a nerd who listens to the radio on weekends and belongs to a book of the month club) and consider browsing Amazon since the most pressing of mail items was a gift card. But now, feeling a bit rested, I think I'll plow on. I'm going to try to keep up with this. Over the weekend I randomly looked up an old blog that I used to follow and thought, meh, why not dust off my crappy blog and maybe use it to keep track of any progress I might make? If nothing else, it might give me something to do on slow work days (for which I am grateful because this time of year I am happy when I have fuck all to do at work).
Ta for now.
*I may have the name of it wrong but I am pretty sure it is Red Dead Redeemer. Or is it Redemption? It's probably Redemption. Something I learned fairly quickly when SA and I started seeing one another regularly is that homie is a gamer. Big time. I wonder if I mentioned this back in April of 2017? I'm not even going to check because I'm too exhausted from being responsible and grown up. But yeah, huge gamer. So, back when we were just getting to know one another, I sat and thought to myself "will I be OK if this is my life?" By that I meant, will I be happy to sit in a chair next to him reading my book while he spends hours and hours playing video games? And honestly, yeah, I will. I mean, I'll go up to his bedroom when the chair starts making my legs hurt but reading is my very favorite thing to do so it's nice to be able to just sit and do that but still spend time with him. And twice now I've actually started playing games with him ("Ark" and "World of Warcraft Classic").
**I started out using a stool for a nightstand at his place and later, upgraded it to two stools. But I asked him ages and ages ago if we could get a proper piece of furniture and he hemmed and hawed and I was disheartened and tuned him out about his reasoning and just figured, nope, not going to happen. I just wanted something from Ikea or Wal-mart that could hold books, a lamp, my glasses, and a beverage without it feeling somewhat precarious. He ended up purchasing these marble top affairs with cubby space and a secret drawer.
***Because - new found responsibility and grownupness aside - I am lazy and not a blogger and have always been bad at this anyway, it will be fun to see if I remember the names I used for people. I probably won't so I'll just give the back story for anyone I mention. I only remember SA because that was the last thing I evidently blogged about so it appeared when I pulled this tripe back up.
No comments:
Post a Comment