Monday, March 5, 2012

Tripping the Light Fantastic

A Little Bit of Terrific
My office seems to have turned into a Pink Floyd song with random noises coming from unknown areas. Out of nowhere just now, I'm suddenly hearing a message being transmitted in Morse Code, cereal being poured into a bowl, and an airplane. The airplane might be real but Morse Code? Hopefully this won't continue or else I'll start to worry that I've begun hallucinating. I certainly don't want that to be the case because today has been kind of fantastic and I would hate to have it end with a straight jacket. Why is this day kind of fantastic? Let's take a look shall we?

1: I have a tattoo on my neck and that is always rad. I got up early and put effort into my appearance but, after about 20 minutes in the office, I felt I looked a wee bit too appropriate* and so took the necessary steps to rectify the situation.

2: One of the first things that happened after I arrived in the office was that my friend gave me a super cute pair of shoes. That does not happen on any other kind of day but a kind of fantastic one.

3: A bit later in the morning, my boss told me that he had the printer/scanner/fax machine that he's giving me in his car. I'd totally forgot about that, just like I'd forgotten about the promised shoes. It appears to be Give Cat Stuff Day. And I like it!

4: My friend is here! I have one last evening to hang out with him and, since I'm off for the first part of tomorrow, I can enjoy myself (he can't though, cause he has to go to work bright and early). We don't have any clue what we're actually going to do tonight, but knowing that we're going to hang out is enough to make me a happy girl indeed.

So you see, if it turns out I'm hallucinating and the pictures in my cubicle start talking to me, it'll really spoil my day.

*People kept commenting that I looked very nice and that I was "dressed up", to which I replied "no, you just haven't seen me look work place appropriate in so long that it seems like I'm dressed up." Take that, compliments! It's true though. I'm not wearing anything special, just a dress I've worn to the office seven thousand times before.

Things I've Giggle At Recently
ME: "And your son, how's he doing?"
FRIEND: "He's very, very... autistic."*

"Once people become sexually active adults, they tend to stay that way." 
Journalist Craig Tinberg on an episode of "Fresh Air" on NPR the other day. They were discussing the AIDs epidemic in Africa and how the West's attempts to educate or help the matter actually made things worse.

"She's a big fan of Jazzercize."
Another quote from NPR, this time as an introduction to a woman who was going to discuss her favorite work out song. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being a self-proclaimed big fan of Jazzercise.  And let's face it, do most people even know that this still exists? 

"I have long hair for a person." 
"You sucked it big?"
Quotes from my conversation with Hunter last night. The first is mine and the second is his. I knew immediately that I sounded really stupid but I'd started out saying that I have long hair but I wanted to qualify it because not necessarily everyone would agree that it is truly "long." His comment had to do with the fact that my thumbs are different sizes because I was a thumb sucker (the left) for 9 years. I think he truly meant what he was asking and just didn't realize how it was going to sound. It is, however, one of the best things anyone has ever said to me so I'm glad he didn't take a beat to think about how to word the question.

*What cracked me up is that she referred to her son as being "very, very autistic", not the fact that he is autistic. She laughed with me when I pointed out how weird that sounded.

No comments:

Post a Comment