I've told you that I've been reading Jenny Trout's recaps of each chapter from the 50 Shades of Suck trilogy, which she did in 2012. Whatever, I tend to be late to the party at all times (remember, I began watching Breaking Bad immediately after it ended). I've been finding her blog posts hilarious but there are things I've learned about these books that I didn't realize before or that I didn't know/notice.
1: The Fanfic audience felt a huge betrayal by E. L. James. I don't know a lot about this community (READ: I know nothing) but evidently, it is just something people do for fun, taking characters from stories or games they love and writing new events and situations for them. I did know that 50 Shades was originally Twilight fanfic but I didn't realize that James essentially profited by plagiarizing Twilight. Now, I've never read Twilight and only got through the first movie with a huge drool face. But apparently, 50 Shades is a total rip off and that would be one thing if it was kept as free, online fanfic, but James has made a ton of scratch by exploiting the genre.
2: I'm super slow so I didn't see this but probably a lot of non fans did; the relationship between Ana and Christian has nothing to do with BDSM and everything to do with a flat out abusive relationship. I will refer you to Google because I am tired and not eloquent enough to explain this. Actually, here is the post that really outlines it. I went and found it for you. You're welcome. There are some things listed that are scary because I read them and thought "OH MY GOD I AM IN AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP." I'm not even joking. I'm going to have to tread carefully.
3: This one I did know: with this trilogy, E. L. James insulted the BDSM community as much as she possibly could. This "mommy porn" may have led to a bit of mild spanking and role playing but the books portray those who truly engage in that lifestyle as being ether perverted or having some traumatic background leading them down this path. Basically, something is fucking wrong with you if you engage in bondage, domination, sadomasochism. Not only that, it is portrayed as an abusive relationship between the dominant and the submissive when that is far from the truth. Yeah, there are those out there with fucked up, abusive relationships, but the basis of a D/s relationship is trust and care. It isn't about the dominant beating the shit out of the submissive and jerking off to it. It's about a careful balance of power, pain, and pleasure. A dominant will never want to cause his or her submissive any pain beyond what they can take. That is why there are safe words. Yes, the submissive is just that, submissive to his or her partner. S/he takes orders and punishment and is the recipient of a certain amount of pain. But s/he also has a word or words to use to indicate that it needs to stop, at which point the dominant does just that, stops and checks on the well being of his/her partner. Submissives are also willing participants who trust their dominant partners. Equally important is that the dominant trusts his/her submissive. It is an equal relationship, regardless of the role and not some bullshit Ike and Tina thing. Oh, and most importantly, both the dominant and the submissive enjoy themselves and want to engage. Ana and Christian are just vapid, idiotic, misrepresentations of consenting adults. Actually, they are misrepresentative of adults with brains in general.
Basically, not only am I being entertained, I'm learning things. Things like E. L. James pisses off communities and is a shitty writer. No, I knew she was a shitty writer already because, as I've said, I read most of the first book.
1: The Fanfic audience felt a huge betrayal by E. L. James. I don't know a lot about this community (READ: I know nothing) but evidently, it is just something people do for fun, taking characters from stories or games they love and writing new events and situations for them. I did know that 50 Shades was originally Twilight fanfic but I didn't realize that James essentially profited by plagiarizing Twilight. Now, I've never read Twilight and only got through the first movie with a huge drool face. But apparently, 50 Shades is a total rip off and that would be one thing if it was kept as free, online fanfic, but James has made a ton of scratch by exploiting the genre.
2: I'm super slow so I didn't see this but probably a lot of non fans did; the relationship between Ana and Christian has nothing to do with BDSM and everything to do with a flat out abusive relationship. I will refer you to Google because I am tired and not eloquent enough to explain this. Actually, here is the post that really outlines it. I went and found it for you. You're welcome. There are some things listed that are scary because I read them and thought "OH MY GOD I AM IN AN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP." I'm not even joking. I'm going to have to tread carefully.
3: This one I did know: with this trilogy, E. L. James insulted the BDSM community as much as she possibly could. This "mommy porn" may have led to a bit of mild spanking and role playing but the books portray those who truly engage in that lifestyle as being ether perverted or having some traumatic background leading them down this path. Basically, something is fucking wrong with you if you engage in bondage, domination, sadomasochism. Not only that, it is portrayed as an abusive relationship between the dominant and the submissive when that is far from the truth. Yeah, there are those out there with fucked up, abusive relationships, but the basis of a D/s relationship is trust and care. It isn't about the dominant beating the shit out of the submissive and jerking off to it. It's about a careful balance of power, pain, and pleasure. A dominant will never want to cause his or her submissive any pain beyond what they can take. That is why there are safe words. Yes, the submissive is just that, submissive to his or her partner. S/he takes orders and punishment and is the recipient of a certain amount of pain. But s/he also has a word or words to use to indicate that it needs to stop, at which point the dominant does just that, stops and checks on the well being of his/her partner. Submissives are also willing participants who trust their dominant partners. Equally important is that the dominant trusts his/her submissive. It is an equal relationship, regardless of the role and not some bullshit Ike and Tina thing. Oh, and most importantly, both the dominant and the submissive enjoy themselves and want to engage. Ana and Christian are just vapid, idiotic, misrepresentations of consenting adults. Actually, they are misrepresentative of adults with brains in general.
Basically, not only am I being entertained, I'm learning things. Things like E. L. James pisses off communities and is a shitty writer. No, I knew she was a shitty writer already because, as I've said, I read most of the first book.
No comments:
Post a Comment