My return to work has been anticlimactic. Well, that's not entirely true. I needed to stop and fill up on gas before heading in on Tuesday morning and realized, as I drove to the gas station, that I'd forgotten the lovely packed lunch I'd made the night before. I began the fueling process and then walked towards the convenience store for a soda when a pick up truck almost ran over me as it backed out of a spot. I was pretty surprised but couldn't say anything as it took me a few moments to realize what was going on and I was nearly hit by the damned thing. Then, when I swung by the Bat Cave to retrieve my forgotten lunch, I had trouble getting out of my car and one of my shoes fell off.
I don't know why, but I have serious problems getting out of my car every damned day when I get home from work. It seems that I don't know how to navigate the curb if I park with my driver's side against it. I've told Monkey that we ought to set up cameras to film me because every day it's something new. If I have heals on, I risk twisting one or both of my ankles. If I have boots on, I end up doing a wide stance squat movement. When I wear ballet flats, well, I lose a shoe under my car. I'm a special, special snowflake. And I need to start parking with the front of my car heading in the other direction. Not only will that save me from having to do a 3-point turn around in the morning, it will allow me to maintain some form of dignity when exiting my vehicle.
Work, as it has been for about two weeks now, is incredibly slow. I have never worked in an office where I've had to beg for assignments and ask the same manager the same question every day. In the past week and a half, I've had a single project to work on, requiring the creation of two whole documents. Sure, I drag it out and make it take as much time as possible, but it would be nice to have a queue of assignments so that I could complete one project and move on to the next rather than limping along, stretching things out, all to avoid the limbo that is my usual work life. Now that I've completed the oh so challenging two documents for that enormous one project, I've emailed the managers to say "hey, I need work. I'm not doing anything. I'm sitting here and you are paying me to dick around." I don't know if I can truly express just how frustrating this is. I'm told that more information is needed from one of the guys in IT. What the hell does that mean? I'm told that I can't ask for assignments from people outside my division because if I have spare time there are plenty of things that need doing and if they knew I was waiting, they'd fill up my queue.
But they don't. And now, when I eventually have my evaluation with my manager, I'll have to explain, yet again, that getting work is like pulling teeth and that this is probably why I solicited for other work in the first place. She's been copied on the emails in which I ask, yet again, for work, stating that I've got nothing. Why doesn't she go scream at the other manager about getting me shit to do? Nope, I get reamed and I'm at fault. Just sit and be quiet and wait with the daily nudge to others to ask them to do their fucking job. It's enough to have me wondering if they will tell me, any day now, that I have thirty days to find a new position. That is how my company handles layoffs unless you've committed a termination worthy offense. I've been in my new capacity for a year now, and I like the work - when I can get it. Most of what I was promised never manifested and so I've been bummed about that. But I've learned and grown by leaps and bounds and honestly do want to continue in this line of work. But when it's so bloody hard to get assignments - and I hear that others are swamped - what can I do but feel a bit nervous?
I don't know why, but I have serious problems getting out of my car every damned day when I get home from work. It seems that I don't know how to navigate the curb if I park with my driver's side against it. I've told Monkey that we ought to set up cameras to film me because every day it's something new. If I have heals on, I risk twisting one or both of my ankles. If I have boots on, I end up doing a wide stance squat movement. When I wear ballet flats, well, I lose a shoe under my car. I'm a special, special snowflake. And I need to start parking with the front of my car heading in the other direction. Not only will that save me from having to do a 3-point turn around in the morning, it will allow me to maintain some form of dignity when exiting my vehicle.
Work, as it has been for about two weeks now, is incredibly slow. I have never worked in an office where I've had to beg for assignments and ask the same manager the same question every day. In the past week and a half, I've had a single project to work on, requiring the creation of two whole documents. Sure, I drag it out and make it take as much time as possible, but it would be nice to have a queue of assignments so that I could complete one project and move on to the next rather than limping along, stretching things out, all to avoid the limbo that is my usual work life. Now that I've completed the oh so challenging two documents for that enormous one project, I've emailed the managers to say "hey, I need work. I'm not doing anything. I'm sitting here and you are paying me to dick around." I don't know if I can truly express just how frustrating this is. I'm told that more information is needed from one of the guys in IT. What the hell does that mean? I'm told that I can't ask for assignments from people outside my division because if I have spare time there are plenty of things that need doing and if they knew I was waiting, they'd fill up my queue.
But they don't. And now, when I eventually have my evaluation with my manager, I'll have to explain, yet again, that getting work is like pulling teeth and that this is probably why I solicited for other work in the first place. She's been copied on the emails in which I ask, yet again, for work, stating that I've got nothing. Why doesn't she go scream at the other manager about getting me shit to do? Nope, I get reamed and I'm at fault. Just sit and be quiet and wait with the daily nudge to others to ask them to do their fucking job. It's enough to have me wondering if they will tell me, any day now, that I have thirty days to find a new position. That is how my company handles layoffs unless you've committed a termination worthy offense. I've been in my new capacity for a year now, and I like the work - when I can get it. Most of what I was promised never manifested and so I've been bummed about that. But I've learned and grown by leaps and bounds and honestly do want to continue in this line of work. But when it's so bloody hard to get assignments - and I hear that others are swamped - what can I do but feel a bit nervous?
"special, special snowflake". that is awesome and I think I'm going to start calling/telling Charlotte that she's that. She is definitely a piece of work that one.
ReplyDelete