Monday, March 24, 2014

Greenhouse and Garden

It is getting harder and harder to return to work on Mondays. With the weather getting nicer and more consistent these days, a lot of work has been done in the yard so it is such a let down to have to return to the corporate setting on Monday. I finally have a couple of pictures to share. They aren't the greatest but they will have to do for now. Once the season has progressed a bit, I'll go out with my iPad and take some better shots.

First, here is my garden. It looks like I only planted half of it but there are a few lines of seeds planted in the back section. There are also a few very scraggly plants that are remnants of the Bat's mother's garden from last year. Originally there was an entire tub but, er, someone's cat laid waste to most of them.

It was the Bat who suggested I plant some already grown flowers so that I have something pretty to look at whilst I wait for the seeds to sprout. He also put up the wire fencing around it to keep the dogs from tearing everything to pieces. Originally, I was going to build a little picket fence but the wood has been horrible lately. As we were driving home from Home Depot one day, I told him that he'd been very nice and thoughtful about my garden, suggesting that I get something pretty to put in while I wait on my seeds. I've spoken about how thoughtless he can be and is but I try to be careful and remember and note when he's actually being attentive, thoughtful, and caring. And I do my best to thank him or point it out just so he knows I don't only think he is an ass.

More impressive than my garden is the greenhouse and I really do look forward to getting pictures to do it justice. The Bat's family came over again this weekend so that his four year old nephew could help stomp on the pond liner. The nephew was in a diaper or shorts or something and the Bat put on his swim trunks to go in with him. Well, the Bat's phone rang and I went out to hand it to him and when I came back, I found the two year old looking out with a sandwich in one hand and her pants down around her feet. Evidently she felt it was time for her to join the action. No, I do not have pictures because A: I am terrible about remembering that people take pictures of everything and B: I'm not putting pictures of these people on my blog because that's just wrong on so many levels (I received permission from the Bat to post the greenhouse).

At this point, the greenhouse doesn't even seem real and the red mulch is to blame for most of it. Don't get me wrong, I like the red mulch, but things are set up so much that it feels like we are in a mudroom or something when this structure isn't even attached to the house. That silver stuff is the insulation that is up against the fence that faces the front of the house. The plywood and hydroponic set up is against the fence that separates the Bat cave from the neighbor. You can see potted plants that were put out, as well as those two black tubs in which onions and strawberries are planted. Of course, there is the pond, from which the water is pumped and into which it is returned after making it's journey through the PVC pipes. Not shown are the camping chairs we sit in or the actual side of the house. Eventually, the entire thing will be sealed off and the Bat will open the windows, sans screens, on nicer days to get a nice airflow.

There are presently 10 small goldfish in the pond and I hope they are still alive when I get home from work. The water is a bit warmer now and the Bat tried a different tactic this time; that being said, he played it safe by only purchasing 10 fish this time and got the cheapest goldfish possible. Eventually he hopes to have water plants, frogs, and a turtle or two. But he also likes the idea of Bubbles going in and out during the day to take care of any mice or critters and I'm not sure how well that will mesh with all that wildlife in his pond. That and the first time she brings me a "present" is the last time she goes outside.

I think you can understand how crushing it is to return to the office after a weekend of playing around in all of that. I'm beginning to wonder more and more about what I can do to change things in my life so that I can do what I enjoy. These thoughts usually occur during my commute and on days like today - when it took over an hour to get to work - the idea of making a change is very attractive.

But, if nothing else, I know what I have to go home to. 

2 comments:

  1. What is not shown in the pictures is all the random detritus in the yard. There is a hay barn (sans tarp), PVC pipes, bits of wood, and just the most random crap you can imagine. His mother very rightly pointed out that he is edging towards an appearance on hoarders.

    Which is partly why it is so nice in the greenhouse; you can pretend none of the rubbish exists outside.

    ReplyDelete