Friday, December 31, 2010

New Day


Separation Anxiety

 
Every morning when I leave for work I say goodbye to Johan. There is nothing odd about that, in itself, as many people say goodbye to their pets. I, however, do not just sing song “bye bye, Johan!” but talk as though to a person… a slightly needy, manipulative, high-maintenance, self-centered person. What’s more is that I sound like an idiot martyr.
                ME: “OK, Johan, I have to go to work. Again. Every day with this work bullshit. Have a good day”.
                 
                JOHAN: “Wheeek! Wheek!!!! Wheek!!!!!!”
                 
                ME: “Quit yelling at me! I gave you everything. You have hay, food, water; I even gave you a piece of pepper”.
                 
               JOHAN: “Wheek!!!!” munch munch munch “Wheeeeeeek!”
                 
                ME: “Why do you think I have to go? I have to go to work to make money to keep you in bell pepper and cilantro.”

In contrast, here is what happens when I leave and J is awake and I say goodbye to him.

                ME: “Bye honey, I’m going to work. Have a good day.”
            
               J: “OK, Kitty Cat, have a good day. I’ll get the door.”

I think the moral of this story is clear: Johan needs to learn how to speak English.

From One Job to Three

Perhaps I am being ridiculously naïve but I had no idea that transitioning jobs within a company could be so exhausting. All week I was trying to acclimate to my new role whilst remaining, about 80% and simultaneously training my successor. This has wiped me out to a surprising degree. I don’t know if it is because I’ve had to run about the office in order to be in two departments or because I’m mentally fatiguing myself trying to master a new job while also trying to impart wisdom and proper training regarding my previous position.

But jesus am I tired! One night I took a nap at 8 o’clock and ended up going to bed at 9:30. Granted, it was only my third day getting up before 7 in the morning and I had been to the gym, but still, it was a bit ridiculous to be so tired. I woke up the next morning at 5 and got out of bed by 6 and, while I did not feel particularly tired, knew a nap would be in order at the end of the day… and oh my god did I fucking nail it!

Other than wearing me out, work has been rather delightful. Once I finally received my filing drawers and was able to get organized and settled in for good, I was ready to get on with things. I have trouble focusing when my work-space is in chaos so being able to file and organize has been a god-send. I might be a rather shocking house keeper at home but in the office, I’m quite tidy. And, because I am such a little take charge girl, I’ve thrown myself into my new responsibilities and have been setting up new protocols and taking part in self-training so that I’ll be able to book my new boss’s travel and do his expense reports. I’m excited that I’m learning so much and I’m feeling more and more like I belong where I am.

Because the new girl, JB, just began on Monday, I am still pretty involved with the regular departmental duties. JB is learning fast and I’m confident that she will be able to take over and quickly become acclimated to the work and processes and procedures. Hopefully she will be able to get along with NWCW and they will work in harmony. Since I began training, I’ve really started to feel like a professional and an expert, because I’m able to answer questions, explain procedures, and multi-task when necessary. I’m also starting to feel like an office expert along the same lines as EA, who everyone knows is an expert on everything. It’s a good, competent, proud feeling and I’m very pleased that I don’t feel like Jo-Jo the Idiot Girl like I usually do.

Hopefully, this all bodes well for 2011. I have just under 3 hours left of 2010 and I intend to enjoy them. Happiness to you and yours.

1 comment: