Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Hanukkah

I would like to remind the mid-west that the world does not, regardless of popular belief, comprise only Christians and Jews (and scary Muslims, as the mid-west seems to view them).

I had to cover switchboard from 4PM to 5PM yesterday, the end of the last working day before a 3-day weekend and everyone was so carefree with their "Merry Christmas!" wishes. I mostly retorted with "yep!" or "uh huh!" but was sorely tempted to say "shalom" or "go fuck yourself."

I'm an atheist and, for me, Christmas becomes a time to turn me into an asshole. It isn't just that I don't want to partake whatsoever in this bullshit day, but I end up sounding like a complete and utter asshole whenever someone wishes me Happy Christmas.

"Merry Christmas, Cat!"
"Yeah, I don't celebrate."
"Oh... well... happy holidays..."
"..."

Fuck you. Next year I am going to put all sorts of notices up on my cubicle to alert the masses that I am an atheist and will wear a shirt that says "I am an atheist" to keep well wishers away. It is enough that stores close down and I have to listen to crap music and deal with bullshit television specials. I really don't think it is fair to expect me to deal with the passive aggressive reverse table turning shit as well.

So bah humbug and suck my dick. I don't believe in God, don't give a shit about your pageants with the baby Jesus, and really don't care about your once a year good will towards men. Charity is year round mother fuckers, not just one week out of the year!

Now, if you will excuse me, I have some movies from the 90's to watch, ones given to me by a Jew because he's switched to BlueRay and wanted to get rid of his DVDs.

2 comments: