Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Adventures in Dating, 2015 - On Sabbatical

Well that was certainly fast. I've decided to take a break from dating because it's exhausting and disappointing and disheartening, even if it is also, at times, comical. I made this decision over the weekend and when I told someone I'd been talking to that it wasn't in the cards, he asked if there was a reason and I was honest and said I just didn't feel like dating at the moment and was taking a break.

That shit really is fucking exhausting. And smart phones ruin everything because there is a sense of immediacy and "oh I'll be rude if I don't respond to every motherfucking text message I receive." That's a major reason I decided to take a break, I can't deal with having to communicate with people all the time and I really don't want to necessarily go on dates. Not now, I'm too tired.

Last night this jackass who handled things badly texted me in a friendly manner and asked how dating was going. I told him it was tiresome and I was taking a break to which he asked if that meant we could go out finally. That was fucking ballsy and I told him as much. He seems to have forgotten that when we last swapped messages, he intimated that I was a bitch who owed him an apology and that he basically did not wish me well but stated that I wasn't going to have any luck. I reminded him of this and he told me that I took it the wrong way. I wrote back saying that I had been kind to both of us when I used the terms "strongly intimated."

That is something that I kind of find universal about men. If they behave badly or hurt your feelings or anything at all, they will find a way to make it your fault, usually by telling you that you are overreacting and/or they didn't mean it that way. The truly brilliant among them will actually try and make themselves out to be the victim.

Is it any wonder I'm taking a break?

I have met some nice guys and have at least one friend out of my latest attempts. Possibly two friends but the second one is still pushing for dating even though I told him flat out that we weren't a match because I was looking for a childless man and he has a 7 year old. That's cool, whatever, I'm just not going to compromise for awhile until I absolutely confirm that what I'm looking for is akin to looking for a unicorn.

So for now, it is going to just be me and the cat and our exciting lives of the red laser game and being too afraid to walk down to the mailbox after dark. I'll hang out with friends from time to time but lately I'm preferring to just stay inside and either clean my apartment or sit in front of the fire with a blanket around my legs as I knit and watch stuff on Netflix or read my book. I am slowly working my way towards old ladyhood come to think of it.

And maybe that is just fine for now, just my speed. Right now? Men can fucking wait. I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment