Oh the joys of online dating. I'm not really even sure why dating sites have you fill out a profile to be honest. Very few people seem to read them so instead of men between the ages of 35 and 40 contacting me, I get 58 year old dudes complimenting me on my eyes and asking if I want to chat, 47 year old medics sending me their phone numbers so we can text, and on an on. One of my particular favorites was a guy who, after we'd talked quite a bit and established that I was not interested in dating him, offered to set me up with a threesome. Seriously, that happened. Oh, and I was going to meet this guy on Sunday for coffee but I asked him on Friday to tell me a little bit about himself because you can only get so much information from a profile. He eventually got back to me Saturday evening saying "I want you..." Needless to say, I've blocked him.
I will say this for the online thing though - it is quite the ego boost. I get all kinds of men telling me that I am beautiful and that's rad as hell. I do, however, like the guys who comment on my profile when they contact me so that I know they've read it. Otherwise I get 20 somethings or guys with kids or, as I said, really old dudes. And it will never cease to amaze me that guys think they can send a message of just "hey, sexy" and think my panties are going to drop off then and there. I guess that works with some women but really? I've had guys say things like "Hello, beautiful. I found your profile interesting and hope to get to know you better. Message me back if you are interested." That's OK because he mentions that he read my profile. So much better than just "hey gorgeous" and no content of any merit.
Some of the guys are nice and I've had a few good conversations. I've not set up any dates or anything because I want to take it nice and slow and make sure I'm really interested. But all in all, I hate online dating as much as I hate real life dating (well, maybe less so since with the online thing I'm hidden behind my computer and dude doesn't have my phone number). But what else do you do when you are 33/almost 34 and single? I don't attend church, doubt I'll meet a guy at the grocery store, and don't go out much because I don't know a great deal of people yet.
I just figure I'll plug along and live my life and eventually meet someone. I certainly hope so. But that poor bastard is really going to have to prove to me that he's worth me because I'm done with bad relationships.
No comments:
Post a Comment