I'm not actually as late to this party as it may seem, I just haven't talked about it. Then again, I'm not sure how many people (who actually read this here blog) would know about it anyway. So let's talk about American Blogger shall we?
Have you seen the trailer for this cinematic gem? No? Well, here you go! The director/movie maker guy is married to a thin, white, attractive mommy blogger. This movie is supposedly a documentary about bloggers across the country because homeboy decided he wanted to learn more about the blogging, instagramming, twittering being done and document it to show "how cool it is to have an area on the internet that is all yours." I know, sounds like a really profound and moving premise for a documentary right? People all over this country care so hard about bloggers and they are frothing at the mouth to see how awesome it really is to be a blogger who actually makes money from said blog (for the record, I make zero point zero zero dollars from this stupid blog because I don't have sponsors because no one reads it).
Yeah, no one gives a shit. But OK, fine, make this movie and maybe it will be interesting. Even jaded old might be interested and surprised by seeing all the different kind of bloggers out there in this country. But have you watched the trailer yet? Because no, that isn't what this film is about. This film is about some guy who restored a wind stream in order to go around the country and meet all his wife's friends, who are also thin, attractive, mostly white, and well to do mommy bloggers. This is a film about mommy bloggers. Homogeneous mommy bloggers who say things like "if we don't share it, why do we bother experiencing it?" I'm not making that up, as you know if you have watched the trailer (seriously, watch that shit).
The one good thing about this film is the overwhelmingly negative reception from pretty much anyone who has watched said trailer. Twitter exploded when it was released and there are all sorts of articles on web-based magazines about how ridiculous this shit is. A common refrain is "I'm an American Blogger and this doesn't represent me at all." To which the director guy replied something along the lines of "uhm, that isn't what the title means. It's called American Blogger because I traveled the country and interviewed bloggers." I don't think you need to have an English major or know ALL the words or anything to understand what a ridiculous response that was. Really? You called your film American Blogger because you traveled to/through 40 states? Bullshit. I mean, dude, make an effort, will you?
Another fun part of this has been the way critics all seem to mention the wind stream. I mean, in my opinion, the fact that this is just a circle jerk and one involving privileged, white mommies who like to take pictures of pretty things and whore out their kids on the internet to get sponsors and money is enough. But people really seem to feel the need to mention the wind stream and so now I feel like it, too, is a character and an important part of the documentary. I'm willing to bet it has the most character in the whole thing.
So do yourself a favor if you are bored and have time to kill. Google American Blogger after you've watched the trailer, and sit back and enjoy some good criticism. It reminds me of how good it felt to read negative Amazon reviews of those horrible fifty shades books.
You're welcome.
Have you seen the trailer for this cinematic gem? No? Well, here you go! The director/movie maker guy is married to a thin, white, attractive mommy blogger. This movie is supposedly a documentary about bloggers across the country because homeboy decided he wanted to learn more about the blogging, instagramming, twittering being done and document it to show "how cool it is to have an area on the internet that is all yours." I know, sounds like a really profound and moving premise for a documentary right? People all over this country care so hard about bloggers and they are frothing at the mouth to see how awesome it really is to be a blogger who actually makes money from said blog (for the record, I make zero point zero zero dollars from this stupid blog because I don't have sponsors because no one reads it).
Yeah, no one gives a shit. But OK, fine, make this movie and maybe it will be interesting. Even jaded old might be interested and surprised by seeing all the different kind of bloggers out there in this country. But have you watched the trailer yet? Because no, that isn't what this film is about. This film is about some guy who restored a wind stream in order to go around the country and meet all his wife's friends, who are also thin, attractive, mostly white, and well to do mommy bloggers. This is a film about mommy bloggers. Homogeneous mommy bloggers who say things like "if we don't share it, why do we bother experiencing it?" I'm not making that up, as you know if you have watched the trailer (seriously, watch that shit).
The one good thing about this film is the overwhelmingly negative reception from pretty much anyone who has watched said trailer. Twitter exploded when it was released and there are all sorts of articles on web-based magazines about how ridiculous this shit is. A common refrain is "I'm an American Blogger and this doesn't represent me at all." To which the director guy replied something along the lines of "uhm, that isn't what the title means. It's called American Blogger because I traveled the country and interviewed bloggers." I don't think you need to have an English major or know ALL the words or anything to understand what a ridiculous response that was. Really? You called your film American Blogger because you traveled to/through 40 states? Bullshit. I mean, dude, make an effort, will you?
Another fun part of this has been the way critics all seem to mention the wind stream. I mean, in my opinion, the fact that this is just a circle jerk and one involving privileged, white mommies who like to take pictures of pretty things and whore out their kids on the internet to get sponsors and money is enough. But people really seem to feel the need to mention the wind stream and so now I feel like it, too, is a character and an important part of the documentary. I'm willing to bet it has the most character in the whole thing.
So do yourself a favor if you are bored and have time to kill. Google American Blogger after you've watched the trailer, and sit back and enjoy some good criticism. It reminds me of how good it felt to read negative Amazon reviews of those horrible fifty shades books.
You're welcome.
I would not read ANY of those bitches' blogs. Well maybe the girl with the polka dot shirt. She seemed cute. But seriously? That kind of made my skin crawl. No, wait, it did. And the movie announcer guy voice? That narration sounded like it was a complete mockumentary??!!!??
ReplyDelete