Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Mother Board

Ugh. You know how I suck at blogging? Especially when I've done something interesting or fun or whatever normal people are awesome at blogging about? Yeah, it's going to be one of those.

My mother arrived on April 17th, having caught a very early flight (her time) that deprived her of her morning coffee. In grand style, I met her at the airport, then high tailed it back to my car (parked a convenient five minutes away), drove around the parking lot once because I couldn't figure out how to exit it, and then drove around the entire airport because I missed my turn for her terminal. Having finally found the old lady, I picked her up, threw her in my car, and then took her to my office where I dragged her around, introducing her to a whole bunch of people she will never see again.

35 miles later, she got her morning coffee. It was roughly 2PM Texas time.

Her visit was good but it isn't like we did anything amazingly remarkable and I don't take pictures so I can't do a nice glossy spread to do the visit justice. There was good food and good people, laughter and horrible stories (because all the stories in my family seem to be horrible), too much alcohol, and not enough outside time. On Friday my mother and I sat outside as she watched me create another tower garden. She enjoyed watching me drill the holes and plant the dirt and drill everything into a plank of wood. In the evening we were supposed to go, the Bat, mama, Guitar Hero, and me to Weekenders, a bar, so that the Bat could maybe help GH find himself a girl. But the Bat had gotten ill and was throwing up after a day spent truck shopping. He recovered enough to join us (along with Monkey and one of her friends) at a bar and grill across the street, but he wasn't up to being jostled at a bar. GH understood and we are going to try again in a couple of weeks.

On Saturday I planted a new garden in a small area of the front yard, all while mama sat in a camping chair and supervised. Before taking Monkey for a quick driving lesson, the Bat served as Under Supervisor. When I was done, mama and I just sat out front reading and, when the Bat got back, he and Monkey pulled out chairs as well and we just sat and talked and sun bathed. Eventually, Monkey was picked up by her aunt and uncle to help get Easter ready for her cousins, and Paul Bunyon, the baby cousin, the Bat, mama, and I went to Salt Grass for dinner. Again, good food, good people, laughter, and the like.

Sunday, being Easter, was easy. We got up and went to the Bat's folks' house where we stuffed ourselves, watched Frozen (the refrain of the day was "but the sky's awake, so I'm awake"), and pretty much just chilled out. The Bat and I took what was going to be a mosey but turned into quite the walk. Why did it take that turn? Because his four year old nephew, T, joined us and wanted to keep going keep going keep going. Of course, on the way back, he wanted us to please carry him (which we did not do). It was nice and the weather was fine for a long walk but I ended up being pretty exhausted. The food and booze didn't help either. But mama, the Bat, and I ended up staying up late, telling stories and looking at pictures on facebook, the Bat drinking a bit too much, and me being the first to call it quits because I was so tired.

Tuesday, today, is the first day I haven't had even a mild hang over. That says a lot about my mother's influence although she'd kill me if I told her that.

I took her to Cracker Barrel for breakfast yesterday, before taking her to the airport. It was sad saying goodbye but it had been a good trip and I think we were both ready for a break. Visiting and visitors wear me out and I really need to decompress. Fortunately for me, I ended up having quite the enjoyable activity waiting for me back at home as I found that my mother had forgotten to log out of facebook on my iPad before she left. Here are a few of the statuses that she ostensibly posted whilst in the air.

  • "Sometimes I just like to sit around and smell my own farts."
  • "Yo, where can I get some whacky tobaccy at? Hit me up playas! #YOLO"
  • (on a friend's wall) "I put human teeth in each of your kids' bedrooms. I pulled them out of homeless people." 
  • "Man, got the shits real bad. Hope none of the other passengers need to use the bathroom because I DESTROYED it. #YOLO"
  • "I could kill for some Mad Dog 20/20 right now. Bitches need to their swerve on. #YOLO"
A couple of her FB friends are also friends with me but not all of them. So I ended up getting a call her from her saying "Simply, I just got off the plane and I'm headed to get my luggage and I get this voice mail from my friend FRIEND, you know her, and she says that someone has hacked into my Facebook and that they are saying all these horrible things. How do I delete that? FRIEND said I should call them because people were responding and..." and I was all "Mom! Calm down. It was me. I'll delete them when you've gotten home and read them all."

The next thing I heard from her was "what's wrong with you?" So, sadly, I had to delete everything, even AFTER I posted something like "For those of you who are concerned, MOM's Facebook was not hacked. Her daughter (me) has been posting these things. And it has been HILARIOUS". The friend who'd called my mom all frantic apparently found it hysterical when she realized what was going on. But it was a jerk ass thing of me to do so, in order to make it up to her, I finally friended her.

I think that makes us even, don't you?  

No comments:

Post a Comment