Friday, April 4, 2014

My Dance Card is Full Damn it!

I'm Not About To Go Eat Worms
Have I mentioned that the Bat has been trying to engineer my life a bit lately? He's decided that I need to make girlfriends that are local so that I can have girls' nights and things like that. Tomorrow a colleague of mine will be joining us at the house for lunch, along with her husband and kids. The Bat's suggestion. We ended up talking about it Wednesday, how I understand he wants me to be happy but that he needs to ease up on the "make friends" lark. He reverts to dad mode every so often and I get it, but it's really uncomfortable when someone keeps nagging you about having friends. I can't help but feel like a loser or something and wonder if that is how people see me.

But I'm not lonely and I do have friends, they just don't live in Texas. What's more, I've never had a ton of friends and the good ones I've kept in touch with for years. Besides, it is hard as fuck to make friends as an adult and it takes time. I even told the Bat that if this was about not having alone time in the house, I'd be happy to go out some evenings on my own to leave him to it. That's when he said that sometimes the dad in him comes out and he just wants me to be happy and have someone to talk to. That's an interesting part of the Bat's personality; he sincerely does not understand that other people have different ways of living and doing things. Because I don't bring friends home or go out on my own with friends, he seems to have assumed that my life was lacking. In reality, between work and his plans, I get enough socialization that I don't think I have the energy for my own friends yet.

He's a funny guy, is our Bat. And an incredibly sweet and caring one when you consider his intentions.

Speaking of Plans
My social calendar is pretty booked right now and it's crazy. As I said, my work girlfriend and her family are coming to lunch tomorrow. In the evening the Bat and I will go out and celebrate the birthday of a woman who works at the sushi bar we frequent. I'm hoping after all that activity that Sunday will be a day of lazy resting and sleeping in.

Next weekend the Bat, Monkey, Squirrel and I are going camping at Daingerfield, the spot we previously visited last October. We may have the company of two of the Bat's friends or it might just be us four. Either way, it should be fun so long as we have nice weather.

The following Thursday, my mother will arrive for a long weekend visit. She gets in on Thursday morning and leaves Monday afternoon so she'll be here for Easter. The Bat's cousin will also be in town, so my mother will be meeting quite a few member's of the Bat clan when we head to McKinney for holiday lunch or dinner or whatev.

Then, the next weekend, I believe, the Bat hopes to take me, Monkey, and his parents to Lake Palestine for another weekend of camping, this time possibly in a cabin.

That's a lot of activity for this girl. I remember my mother once lamenting the fact that I would be alone on weekends and holidays after my divorce and my telling her that by the time the weekends rolled around, I didn't want to deal with people at all. That was back when I was in Ohio and working in my previous capacity which included a LOT of phone time. I also had a briefer commute so when I got home on Friday afternoons, I just wanted to decompress. These days I don't talk as much in my work and I have an hour long commute so I can unwind and decompress on my way home. But I still don't necessarily want to fill all my free hours with people. Sometimes I just want to be by myself and sometimes I just want to spend time with my boyfriend.

And I'm perfectly happy with that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment