Tuesday, October 15, 2013

And at 32, I seem to have grown up... a teeny, tiny bit

Like a Lighting Fixture
I was going to stay at my place last night. I thought I'd have a girl's night in and hang out with Bubbles and, you know, make my apartment earn the rent that I pay every month. Since meeting Batman, I've hung out at his place pretty consistently and don't even remember when I last spent the night in my apartment. Hell, on Saturday I helped with chores around the Bat Cave just because I'm there so often. So I told the Bat of my plans and started to make a list of what I wanted to do with myself. I got my eyebrows waxed, put on a mud mask, cleaned the litter box, put away dishes, watched some Net Flix, started a new scarf. Lovely. Only here's the thing: I got sent home from work around 12:45 because our power went out at 11:45 and they didn't know what time it would be back on (I think a car accident caused the outage as it was more than just our building). So I ended up home at 2 PM and by 5:30 was bored and missed the Bat and Monkey. Needless to say, I still have not slept in my own bed.

When Monkey got home yesterday, before I turned up, she asked her dad where I was. He told her I wasn't coming over and her immediate reaction was to look at him and say "what did you do?" Nice to know the kid will take my side first. I guess I'm a fixture in her life.

And his. I've been with the Bat for nearly a month now (it will be a month on Friday) and we spend a lot time together and it feels 'right' for lack of a better term. I don't get annoyed with him (save for when he makes fun of me when it is early in the morning, I'm awake because his fucking alarm went off on a Saturday, and I've just slammed my knee into a table and am gimping around and am already tired and so making fun of me is just really NOT going to help things) and I miss him and Monkey when I'm home. I will say that he isn't as fun as I'd hoped. A few days, maybe a week and a half, into our relationship, I asked him if he ever wanted to break up with me, would he do it via text message and to say he was breaking up with me because he'd been eaten by bears. He refused saying that breaking up with someone was something you did in person. He did say he'd think about the "I was eaten by bears" excuse though. Maybe there is hope.

Grown Up Life
Once again, I don't know how people are grown ups. I could have come home today, done minimal chores (seeing as my apartment stays clean since I'm never there anymore), drank beer, and watched 'Orange is the New Black' on Netflix. I know I'm late to the party on that but whatev. Instead, here is what I did after my 8 hour shift. I went home and spent an hour with Bubbles. Then I got in my car and went to the pet store for hay, food, and bedding for my lord and master guinea pig, went to the grocery store for the makings of the savory tart (one of my very favorite staple foods, thanks Laundress!), and then spent a fucking hour in traffic to drive the ten stupid miles to the Bat's place. Ugh. It rained in Texas today and a tractor trailer overturned and so, you know, jacked up. When I got to the Bat Cave, I hauled in all my shit and then ran to the bathroom because I had to skip to the loo like a mother fucker. Then I sucked it up and made dinner and put it in the oven.

Doesn't sound like much, does it? It isn't, I know. But when you are me? Yeah, that's way more than I ever do with myself after a day of work. It's like when I took Monkey to the mall after work and then got sent out for beer and cigarettes when we got back. This sort of thing makes me think back to when I was a kid and you know what?
  1. This is why my mom would ask if she should get gas whilst we were out or should she get it on her way to work. She wanted to just be home but there was also the annoyance of having to do anything in the morning on her way to work.
  2. No wonder my mom said "poison" whenever we'd ask what was for dinner when she cooked after work. I don't think we asked in a nasty tone or anything but my god, ask me what I'm making or make any comments on it if I'm making it right after getting home after an hour of jacked up traffic and I kind of want to punch you in the throat. 
  3. It is not OK to ask mocking questions about one's commute/work day/mood if one has just walked in and you know damned well that they were miserable because the commute/work day/mood sucked.
  4. I was an ungrateful, unaware, whiny little shit, even if I didn't say the thoughts out loud. 
Doing shit after work, besides drinking beer and watching Netflix, is for the fucking birds. First world problems of course, and I'm happy to have them, but it is a very strange feeling to be doing these grown up things like a proper adult. I honestly cannot imagine how people do the parenting thing. Go to work, take care of the kid (regardless of age) and do anything else ever

And I thought talking about weather/wanting to hear the traffic report desperately/chatting, in earnest about gas prices was the end of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment