Well that was special. This morning I left my home five minutes earlier than usual.
Let me tell you, I will never do that again.
If only I'd waited those five minutes to get the traffic report. Since I didn't, because a good early bird employee, I ended up in quite the clusterfuck. Actually, let's be accurate here; I, very fortunately, was not involved in the clusterfuck, just the fallout from it. Apparently an 18-Wheeler carrying propane (with or without accessories I have yet to discern) overturned and caused accidents with five cars.
Propane=hazmat situation
Overturned large truck=multiple lane closures
Overturned large truck + propane + multi car accident= total closure of the highway.
I spent two hours to go two miles. Then I realized my car was super over heating and smoke was coming from my hood. So I put down all of my windows and turned the heat way up until I was able to pull over to the shoulder, where I turned the car off and then sat.
Then I sat some more, facebook messenger messaging back and forth with the Bat, who instructed me on what I needed to do, and texting a work friend to let her know what was going on.
An hour passed.
I decided to just walk the two miles back home. Along the way, I ran into a couple of other people who'd pulled over and one of them, since he lives off of the same road as I, offered to walk me back. I only had him walk me back halfway (the highway portion) because I was familiar with the rest. But it was still quite the walk and I was soaked in sweat with a sore back from having my computer bag with me and the balls of my poor feet are blistered to hell.
So now I am working from home and waiting for news that the highway has reopened. Keep in mind that I left my house at 6:15 a.m. and got back around 10:00 a.m. or so and it is presently 12:06 and the highway is still completely closed down for a good stretch. When Monkey gets home from school, she's supposed to come over and pick me up to take me to my car so hopefully by then it will be somewhat clear.
There is always hope and considering that I'm in a really cheerful mood, I'm leaning towards optimism.

No comments:
Post a Comment