The Bat and I are going camping later this month and we've begun discussing it with great enthusiasm. It's just us because Monkey has to reserve one weekend day to go to the farm and train her horse but some people the Bat knows may join us. The reservations for the campsites have been made and so we are planning with gusto. The tent we usually use was ripped two weekends ago and needed to be replaced anyway so we've been sending links back and forth with options (the Bat's got crazier and crazier until he sent a link for a twelve foot military operation style one) and discussing other needs. He ordered a total of six camping chairs, two of which swing (and are exactly like the ones we had when we were in Flagstaff) and I've ordered metal place settings to serve four, a really neat LED lantern that can also charge mobile devices, and a camping ladle.
We aren't being as frivolous as I'm making it sound. As I said, we needed a new tent due to aging and it being ripped. The old camping chairs are broke down and needed to be replaced but, what's more, they are all down on the farm and we want to keep them there for the time being. The metal place settings weren't really necessary, but they will keep us from having to buy paper plates and plastic picnic wear and we'll be greener this way (people can't argue when you throw mother nature and earth friendliness into it). Plus, this way we never have to worry about dumb shit like having one plastic fork remaining and the spoon box breaking. And it will cut down on volume with regards to 'stuff we bring when we go camping.'
The latern is a bit iffy. I've wanted one for a long time but never purchased one because I couldn't come up with a real need. Between camp fires and flashlights, there is just really little reason for a lantern. But this one will be handy, not just for camping but on the farm, for bathroom trips and extra lighting as well as having a USB port so we can charge Kindles and blue tooth speakers. It also features a removable handle so we can hang it up on the metal hooks at the top of the pole on our site. Besides, we've lost a bunch of the flashlights we previously had. I should also note - and this isn't really a justification as much as it is an annoyance and observation - that we have lost a lot of flashlights since we began work on the farm.
The ladle was thrown in so I could get free shipping but I'm glad I found it. There is always at least one occasion during which I find myself annoyed because I either have to dip a cup into a pot or pour from a pot into a bowl or onto a plate and I always think "why don't we have a ladle?" Sadly, this is scheduled to be delivered while we are actually camping so it's inaugural trip will have to wait. I'll see what I can do in order to convince the Bat not to make stew just this once. UPDATE: Actually, I will have the ladle because we are going camping three weekends from now, not two. The Bat told me that last night and then, a few hours later, he apologized about it because he knew I was really bummed and let down. I'd had a dream the night before about being all packed and ready to go just to be reminded that we weren't going for awhile. Welp, here I was, excitedly buying things from the Walmart website, purchasing a ladle so that I wouldn't have to pay shipping and being too lazy to go to the gd store itself, but it won't be needed until October.
Dry your eyes, I'll be fine.
Items that were not purchased due to my restraint include, but are not limited to, a camping coffee urn/maker and a compass. I think I just want a compass so that I can have it on me at all times and figure out where I am in case I get lost (which I do quite prettily). The coffee urn/maker is, obviously, because I drink coffee at times and it would be nice to be able to make a pot of it without it going cold right away and without using shitty instant stuff. But if I want it that badly, I can just carefully pack my French press (which is basically what a camping one is). Besides, I don't always drink coffee and I can get it for free at the little shop on the park grounds. So that would really have just been my throwing money away.
We are really looking forward to this, as you can obviously glean from this post. Part of it is just that we haven't really had much quality alone time in awhile. Our nights in the hotels during the Arizona trip were manic and ridiculous and it is a rare week that finds the Bat at my place on our regular Wednesday date nights. Also, let's face it, he and I are old and broke down these days. Our weekends aren't generally relaxing and they are filled with people. Between that and our regular work weeks we've fairly depleted of energy and so haven't devoted much time to 'us'. It's a weird concept to think about but even though we are stronger than ever in our relationship, I think we both miss a certain amount of intimacy that we used to enjoy on lazy mimosa Saturdays and Sundays. Don't get me wrong, I really love going down to the farm and that takes precendence right now, but we just need some time together away from everything.
Camping is perfect for that.
We aren't being as frivolous as I'm making it sound. As I said, we needed a new tent due to aging and it being ripped. The old camping chairs are broke down and needed to be replaced but, what's more, they are all down on the farm and we want to keep them there for the time being. The metal place settings weren't really necessary, but they will keep us from having to buy paper plates and plastic picnic wear and we'll be greener this way (people can't argue when you throw mother nature and earth friendliness into it). Plus, this way we never have to worry about dumb shit like having one plastic fork remaining and the spoon box breaking. And it will cut down on volume with regards to 'stuff we bring when we go camping.'
The latern is a bit iffy. I've wanted one for a long time but never purchased one because I couldn't come up with a real need. Between camp fires and flashlights, there is just really little reason for a lantern. But this one will be handy, not just for camping but on the farm, for bathroom trips and extra lighting as well as having a USB port so we can charge Kindles and blue tooth speakers. It also features a removable handle so we can hang it up on the metal hooks at the top of the pole on our site. Besides, we've lost a bunch of the flashlights we previously had. I should also note - and this isn't really a justification as much as it is an annoyance and observation - that we have lost a lot of flashlights since we began work on the farm.
The ladle was thrown in so I could get free shipping but I'm glad I found it. There is always at least one occasion during which I find myself annoyed because I either have to dip a cup into a pot or pour from a pot into a bowl or onto a plate and I always think "why don't we have a ladle?" Sadly, this is scheduled to be delivered while we are actually camping so it's inaugural trip will have to wait. I'll see what I can do in order to convince the Bat not to make stew just this once. UPDATE: Actually, I will have the ladle because we are going camping three weekends from now, not two. The Bat told me that last night and then, a few hours later, he apologized about it because he knew I was really bummed and let down. I'd had a dream the night before about being all packed and ready to go just to be reminded that we weren't going for awhile. Welp, here I was, excitedly buying things from the Walmart website, purchasing a ladle so that I wouldn't have to pay shipping and being too lazy to go to the gd store itself, but it won't be needed until October.
Dry your eyes, I'll be fine.
Items that were not purchased due to my restraint include, but are not limited to, a camping coffee urn/maker and a compass. I think I just want a compass so that I can have it on me at all times and figure out where I am in case I get lost (which I do quite prettily). The coffee urn/maker is, obviously, because I drink coffee at times and it would be nice to be able to make a pot of it without it going cold right away and without using shitty instant stuff. But if I want it that badly, I can just carefully pack my French press (which is basically what a camping one is). Besides, I don't always drink coffee and I can get it for free at the little shop on the park grounds. So that would really have just been my throwing money away.
We are really looking forward to this, as you can obviously glean from this post. Part of it is just that we haven't really had much quality alone time in awhile. Our nights in the hotels during the Arizona trip were manic and ridiculous and it is a rare week that finds the Bat at my place on our regular Wednesday date nights. Also, let's face it, he and I are old and broke down these days. Our weekends aren't generally relaxing and they are filled with people. Between that and our regular work weeks we've fairly depleted of energy and so haven't devoted much time to 'us'. It's a weird concept to think about but even though we are stronger than ever in our relationship, I think we both miss a certain amount of intimacy that we used to enjoy on lazy mimosa Saturdays and Sundays. Don't get me wrong, I really love going down to the farm and that takes precendence right now, but we just need some time together away from everything.
Camping is perfect for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment