Monday, August 10, 2015

Simply a Summer Vacation - A poorly written post about my trip

One would think that a Monday after a full week off would be brutally busy but man, today was long as hell because I had dick all to do at work. Tomorrow will be better because certain processes will have run but today was pretty much just me looking at stuff on the internet. Know what I realized? If someone pulled all the data of my internet usage off of my work laptop, they would find a lot of stuff about unsolved murders and disappearances. When I get bored, I Google ‘mysteries’ and inevitably find some interesting disappearance or murder and end up in a rabbit hole. That’s all fine and well and whatevs, go ahead and look at my browser searches on my phone, but on my work laptop? Not so fine and dandy. I don’t really know why I didn’t think to write a blog post during the day since I had the time, but I didn’t. Well, I did but I didn’t feel like it. I guess I figured if I wasn’t going to use my brain for work, there was really no purpose in using it at work. Not that this is going to be highly intellectual or anything.

So, my summer vacation of 2015! The Bat and I left early on Saturday morning and drove about 12 ½ hours, making it to Gallup, New Mexico. We stayed at a Days Inn and, after dinner, mixed some Jack and Coke and headed to the pool. The pool, itself, was kind of gross because it was a weird green color and really cloudy. The hot tub was out of order but it was clear and had hot water so we settled in there for a bit before the Bat went into the pool. I dipped my foot in but the water felt too cold for this delicate flower and I wanted no part of it. That didn’t phase the Bat, however, as he pulled me in and laughed at my distress. Tell you what though, the hot tub felt even better after that.

Because we only had 2 ½ hours more to drive the next day and weren’t really expected in Flagstaff until 3, we paid $10 to drive through the Petrified Forest, featuring the Painted Desert. I love the Painted Desert and have probably seen it at least three times, so that was fun. The petrified wood was underwhelming in my opinion, but I suppose I would have been more interested if I’d touched it. Or, you know, if we’d taken our time through it. Unfortunately, an emergent call of Nature struck the Bat so we had to haul ass for the last 10 miles (at 35 mph) in order to get him and his belly to a bathroom. I still giggle about it because the drive was hilarious and then he was in the men’s room forever. He actually said he felt bad for the other guys, not because it smelled, but because it was loud and he had to flush multiple times. Never have I been so turned on.

Did you know that Flagstaff is amazing weather wise? The highs were in the upper seventies, which were the lows back in Texas, and it was just beautiful. I got to see my brother, Teacher, and his family for the first time in four years, and met my second niece for the first time. That was pretty awesome and I enjoyed talking to my big brother for a bit since our annual Skypes are usually overridden by my older niece shouting that she loves me and attention seeking children in general. It was great seeing my sister in law as well, and I think she liked having me there to talk to instead of just being stuck with her little family and my mom. Not that my mom isn’t awesome, but I was a novelty.

Everyone kept suggesting that the Bat and I go do things like see the Grand Canyon or other excursions but honestly, we work all week and then go to the country and spend our weekends doing manual labor so doing absolutely nothing was just perfect. I’d downloaded a book at the Bat’s recommendation (he likes Sci Fi and Fantasy, genres I neglect, so I thought I’d give it a try) and he and I spent hours reading whilst sitting in swinging chairs on the porch. I think everyone spent most of the time outside because the weather was so beautiful. Well, we’d go inside or to a restaurant for one of our numerous feeding sessions. Dear lord did we eat a LOT on this trip!

On Wednesday, we checked out (we did one of those AirBnB things) and drove down to Phoenix where it was center of the sun hot. The Bat and I stayed with my mother’s neighbors since that is where she is presently living, and it was perfect because they have a pool. When the Bat wasn’t doing plumbing work at my mom’s house or the neighbor’s, we sat in the pool and read and swam and felt like royalty. Sure, the real feel was 116 degrees but the water’s temperature was perfect and when we first got out, the dry heat would wick off all the moisture and itw ould feel cool, like we were back in Flagstaff.

We were in Phoenix briefly because we had to get back. Most of the time was spent in the pool, eating at restaurants, and putting crap in my car. My mom wanted to give me some items from my childhood and she and my cousin both gave me useful items like mixing bowls and cookware. I have a feeling that any time I show up with a car, I will be leaving with it loaded. We set out for Texas Friday morning and landed at the farm on Saturday afternoon because Monkey was there and the Bat, obviously, really missed her. We actually ended up working a lot and so I’m all beat up and in pain but it was a nice transition to being back to the real world and I was very pleasantly surprised to find that Monkey likes me again. I actually said something to her like “I’m glad you’ve decided you like me again” and she said “yeah, I wanted to apologize about that”. But I didn’t press it because I was just happy to have her back.

And so now we are home and last night I stayed at the Bat’s and we creaked and moaned like old people whenever we moved. Today, after work, I had to go back to his neck of the woods to pick up Bubbles, who I’d boarded, and that was awesome because I’d missed the stinker. The vet sent me pictures of her every day but I was extremely happy to have her back home with me. Even if it did cost a limb to board her for so many days. I’m happy to have her home and hope she’s happy to be here. Why she wouldn’t be I don’t know since I spoil her.

And that’s that. I know it is a piss poor essay on my vacation but at least I actually tried for once.


No comments:

Post a Comment