Sunday, August 16, 2015

Country Life and Cat Carriers

As you undoubtedly know if you subscribe to my newsletter (don't have one) or watch my regular Youtube videos (don't do that ether), I spend my weekends laboring down in the country on the Bat's parents' retirement property. I had a full weekend off when we went to visit my family but worked the following Saturday and went back for more labor camp this weekend. I spent most of my time using a hammer and pry bar to take down the sheet rock on one side of the kitchen and removing trim around doorways. I've gotten really good at taking down walls, especially when I don't feel like doing it anymore because I just swing the hammer over and over again like I'm mad and tear that shit out.

I'm pretty sure I've developed a bicep muscle on my right arm.

This weekend was slightly different because I brought Bubbles with me. As soon as I touched her carrier she bolted into my bedroom to hide under my bed (note to self: shut all doors before doing that again). I had to lift off the mattress and box spring to let her now that wouldn't work, and eventually corralled her into her carrier. Got my shit, got the cat, got in the car, and drove to the Bat's house (during the transport I was pulled over and got my first ever speeding ticket. Did you know that they ask for your phone number and your place of work? I was also asked what brought me to Rowlett since my driver's license has my Dallas address on there but I as thinking 'dude, I'm like five miles from my house.' The officer was super nice and showed me what I needed to do when I asked him since I've never been in this situation before. When we were done, I stuck my hand out of the window to shake his hand and thank him for his service. I think he was nice because I was nice and didn't give him any problems. No idea what he thought about my thanking him for his service when he just basically wrote me a bill for hundreds of dollars though)>

But I digress. Bubbles did OK at the farmhouse. The dogs are kept outside and the bigger of the pigs doesn't seem interested in coming into the house very much even though she's allowed to. The Bat's mother told me that she saw Bubbles and the smaller pig nose to nose, just checking one another out, and then parting ways as if to say "oh, this is new. What are you. Sniff, sniff. OK, cool. Take it easy." But Monkey has a little kitten that she brought back from Missouri and Bubbles is not a fan. The kitten wants to play and stalk and Bubbles wants to be left alone so she just growls and hisses at the little one. But it would appear that Bubbles understands that she is much larger than Daisy (the name Monkey gave the kitten) because she doesn't do anything to fight it (and based on what she did to the Bat's hand as he tried to get her out from under the sink this morning, she isn't necessarily shy about clawing your ass).

My major concern was really just that she eat her food. I know she'll get used to the place but I want to make sure she eats her food rather than the kitten's (because Bubbles is on that canned food diet) and I don't want Daisy eating my Fancy Feast. I do think Bubs will be fine so I'm not that worried, but it is a pain in the ass taking her. On the drive down she was pretty quiet, as she was on the drive back. But after I'd gotten her into *my* car to head home, she shit at one point. You have to understand that she was wary in this new house and had this hyper kitten around. I don't think she got to use the litter box and she may have shied away from it because no one seemed to think it needed to be cleaned out (I will take care of that next time). So I don't blame her at all and just felt bad for her, especially as she had to lay in her carrier with it until we got home. And cat shit stinks really, really bad. I'm pretty sure the word pungent exists because of cat shit. But I got her home, let her out, and she's chilling in my closet.

Because I feel bad about her being in a little cage on a car trip and about the shitting incident, I ran to a pet store to upgrade her carrier.
Is she going to like it or want to get into it? No. But at least she'll have more room and should she shit, she can be further away from it. If you zoom in on the picture, you will see a banana guilt toy in the bottom left hand corner of the new carrier. Bubbles seems to like it, which makes me happy since she isn't always into the toys I buy her out of guilt. I'm keeping the smaller carrier because it will be fine for trips to the vet and/or I'm sure someone in my life will need to borrow it at some point, but I'd like Bubs to have more room when we travel.

One major con? Bubbles on her own, let alone in her old carrier or her new one, is heavy as fucking hell. But I'm insane about my pets so what can I do? 

No comments:

Post a Comment