Saturday, April 25, 2015

It's Official, I Need a Guardian

In order to mix things up a bit, seeing as the crumbling of my life hasn't been enough, I decided to spend a few hours in Urgent Care this morning. I'd bought a new kitchen knife and was using another knife to remove the packaging when I chopped into my right index finger. So much blood. I think my body wanted to freak out but I immediately grabbed some paper towels to stem the bleeding. When it was clear that I needed stitches, I sent a Facebook message to the Bat stating that I needed him and that I was pretty sure I needed stitches. He had me send him a picture and, as he got ready, directed me to tape up the wound and splint it. Two Muppets band-aids and a separated clothes pin later, I was in business. Sure, my finger was numb but the bleeding had stopped and the Bat showed up shortly to take a look, agree that I def needed stitches and drive me to UC.

That was the main reason I contacted him, actually, for the ride, as I wasn't sure I could drive given it was my dominant hand. I'm extremely glad that he was able to come for me because he was a huge help in the waiting area. He didn't just fill out forms whilst I had my hand resting in some antibiotic soup, he also told me what to expect seeing as he'd had many a run in with nasty cuts from his construction days. It was also nice to have someone there for the painful moments.

See, the actual chopping into my finger didn't hurt at all. Sharp fucking knife and one swift move made it totally painless... maybe shock helped. But the needle to anesthetize the area hurt like a son of a bitch. The stitches weren't too bad until the final two of five, when the physician assistant had to stitch into an area that wasn't numb. I actually said "mother fucker that hurts" as I cried and raised off the gurney, though I kept my hand still. That shit hurt, a lot. Most of it was fine and I actually giggled after the first stitch when dude pulled my skin together because it reminded me of my sewing days. But man, those final stitches and that last knot were brutal.

It's over now. A nurse came in and, oddly, did not clean the wound but just put some gauze on it and wrapped it in an Ace bandage (she even gave me the leftover as a parting gift). I'm to get an antibiotic (more in a moment) and go in tomorrow to make sure things look as they should. This business won't conclude until 10-14 days and that is irritating and I'm so annoyed I did something so stupid.

A quick word on antibiotics and drugs in general. You know how doctors always ask if you have any allergies? I always say "aspirin and penicillin". The follow up question concerns what happens if I take those things and my response is less confident. "Aspirin causes me extreme gastric distress. I have no idea what happens if I take penicillin but my mom told me I'm allergic to it and I don't want to find out if I'm right or not." I pretty much tell doctors that mommy says I'm allergic to something and sorry, no idea what happens. But honestly, lots of allergies are discovered in childhood and/or early childhood and parents don't necessarily tell their kids "oh, right, if you take this drug you will blow up into a giant ball of hives or whatever." I still feel stupid though, every single time I am asked that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment