Tuesday, April 14, 2015

In Other News

I've been silent and then laid down some heavy stuff lately, haven't I? News about tumors and impending job loss really sucks so let's try to think about other things and fiddle dee it as Scarlet would do, shall we?

This weekend I finished my work on a small garden bench and table for my patio.
The previous patio set I had was fine but it made the space feel a bit crowded. This bench isn't 100% what I want because it is so straight backed but it does the trick. And I made it! The Bat did all of the drilling but I ended up doing most of the sawing (terryifying) and all of the staining. The table is drilled to the 4x4s on the balcony with supports. You can also see a window box that has been drilled to the balcony railing. There is a second one, not seen, and they will both be filled with Morning Glories and I will use string to have them vine up so that I can have shade since I face east and so the space is hot as fuck in the summer (which is bearing down upon me).

Next, I want to build a coffee table and side table for inside. I hate what I have and I like building things so this is perfect. The materials are cheap, I'll have the sense of accomplishment that comes with doing things on your own, and I'll have furniture I like (though I think I'll buy a darker stain for these items).

When not engaging in wood shop on the weekends, I am working on a totally different project. A met someone who wrote a young adult novel and she sent out an all call looking for editors. She can't pay but all of her readers have told her that she needs an editor. I said I'd be happy to do it and I am. It's fun work for me and it distracts me from all the shit going on in my life. I'm really enjoying the work, especially because this particular manuscript has me asking all sorts of questions and analyzing the story like I wouldn't necessarily do otherwise. And it's a great opportunity for me to flex my technical and editing muscles. And, who knows, maybe this person will go on to great fame and I'll get to be able to say I was there from the beginning?

So there you go. I know it was short but at least it was happy and hopeful, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment