Friday, November 15, 2013

Drama & Gender Stereotypes

I was in the car with the Bat and Monkey the other day when Monkey said:
"This is why I have guy friends. No. Drama."
Said by a 14 year old girl. Who is on Drill Team. With a bunch of other girls with whom she hangs out whenever she possibly can. A girl who never mentions any boys names, even when it is just the two of us and her dad is out of earshot.

Adorable, isn't it? I didn't snort but before I could think I did say "that's what EVERY girl says." Then I felt kind of bad because, you know, I'm sure I espoused my fair share of platitudes at that age as well and being almost 33 is a lot different than being 14. It's funny being around this girl because it makes me realize how ridiculous humans are and how awesome getting older can actually be. But I have to admit, some women really are full of the drama and really enjoy it. I'm not one of them but I'm also not one who claims to get along better with men than women or despises my own gender. Women are awesome. Men are awesome. People are assholes.

And don't try and tell me that women are alone in this petty shit. Guitar Hero works with a guy who acts all pissy and passive aggressive and has done ever since GH went from working with him to working for someone else (I think it was a promotion or something). Men can be vindictive and childish and dramatic just like women. It's just that we excel at it and put more effort into it. Or so I believe. That and some men really refuse to believe anything other than the stereotypes. Asshat used to always accuse me of being passive aggressive and being a game player. This would occur when I was confused about something and he was pissed off. Never entered his head that maybe texting only wasn't the best form of communication and that no, just because I misread something (that was totally lacking in terms of tone) did not make me either an idiot or a game player. That shit infuriated me because I don't do that shit. Even certain female friends of mine forget and I'll have to call them up and say "Look, what I said in my email is what the fuck I meant. Stop looking for hidden meaning." That usually gets the job done and they stop picking apart every sentence to find what I'm really saying.

So I get it, I do. Stereotypes are perpetuated because so many people continue to prove them right. But there are exceptions to the rule and I think there are a lot more women like me out there than some would like to admit. The Bat posts ridiculous shit on Facebook about this sort of thing and I finally asked him one day if he believed all that nonsense. He said "no" and I have to believe him because he's never once challenged anything I said to get to the real meaning. He pretty much takes me at my word and doesn't borrow trouble. That and the fact that we only text when we are at work and most of our communication is done face to face has allowed us to avoid any real arguments. Well, that and the fact that we've only been together for about two months.  In return, I don't treat him as a one size fits all male personality but treat him like the man he is. If we go out I don't hover around and see who he is checking out. If a female friend kisses him or he kisses her, I don't get upset (if they were full on tongue and mouth, yeah, I'd say something, but a kiss on the cheek ain't no thang). I don't treat him like he is less intelligent than I am or that he is automatically a slob who is domestically incompetent and only knows beer! football! boobies! That isn't who he is at all. Honestly, when we watched a movie the other night, I was the one who said "when they show that girl there, is it me, or is the only thing you can think 'man she's got a nice rack'?" Yes, he did think the same thing but no, it did not bother me and I'm the one who mentioned it (seriously though, there were so many shots of her in tanktops where she had this great set of tits that it was impossible not to spend the rest of the movie hoping for some nudity and speculation on whether she'd had a push up bra on or not because in other scenes they definitely got smaller. Hey, if you are going to have them smack up in my face, I am going to look).

Kind of took a turn there, didn't I? My point is that I get really tired of the gender stereotyping and I'm glad I can, for the most part, avoid it in my current relationship (if he posts that shit on my wall, I just ignore it... unless there is a glaring grammatical error or a really good joke I can make in response). And drama? It's always going to be there because certain personalities enjoy it. I don't like it in my own life but I certainly enjoy it in different things I read online, whether blogs or gossip columns. You either engage or disengage.

But at 14? I don't think you know shit about it quite yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment