Thursday, January 10, 2013

Bursting with controlled substances

The Good Life
Well living the healthy life seems to be suiting me these days, even if it has only been about a day and a half. I'm actually enjoying cooking and find myself reading blogs to find recipes. Not that I necessarily cook anything too complicated. Remember how I said I'm not a very creative cook? Well, at least I can say I'm resourceful. The other night I ended up having cut up turkey hot dogs, sauteed asparagus, somewhat sauteed somewhat fried red baby potatoes, and sour cream for good measure. Why yes, yes I was trying to figure out how to use up some of the food in my fridge, thank you for asking. I've been eating red baby potatoes for freaking days and I'm thinking it is time to move on. Maybe take a break from the asparagus as well, though I'm pleased I'm eating vegetables (I even ate the green beans in my lunch meal [one of those Healthy Choice Steam Meals thing]... that was an accomplishment because green beans and I have NEVER gotten along). So I'm resourceful and I enjoy it and thus, I have a new hobby. Hurrah!*

I also went to the gym for the first time in ages. I've belonged to it by virtue of my lease since mid June or early July but I didn't even find it until yesterday. After work this week, I finally sucked it up, found the place, and then went to actually use the joint. Today was my second day running and I'm not doing to poorly. I look forward to my after work jogs, which is a really good thing, and today was especially pleasing because I pushed myself. After my third interval of .75 miles, my toes were hurting and I thought I'd call it a day. But I powered through the pain and went for the last interval, running at .7 mph faster than the rest of my mileage for my last quarter, and was literally smiling as I finished. Red in the face, water bottle drained, but feeling pleased with myself

*As mentioned previously, Hunter and I are like a pair of old biddies when it comes to food and so we now tell each other almost every day what we had for dinner or what we are thinking of having for dinner. We swap links to recipes and talk about it every morning. Because we are super cool.

Creating The Life
So, I thought about bitching and moaning about this jerk who drives me crazy at work but, instead, I'm going to try and just focus on positive things. I'm dedicating this year to taking care of myself and creating the life I want for myself. Yes, some thins are out of my control but many are right there in my locus (is that right?) So instead of ruminating on the negative I'm going to try to just process it and move on. I'm not going to be all happy pollyanna sunshine or some shit but I'm going to try and be happy.  I look forward to going to the gym these days (granted, it's been two days in one week so far this year) and I'm enjoying cooking. I'm reading The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes before bed and sleep with three blankets so that I'm nice and snug.I'm being a better housekeeper and that makes me happy.

Nothing stunning of course, but conscious efforts nonetheless. This is the year that I stop running from problems, burying my head in the sand, and doing things to just distract myself from life. Instead, I'm going to live and enjoy life, no matter what may come. And I'm quite pleased with that decision.

I'm also going to get super duper filthy rich.

2 comments:

  1. Want to know what I had for dinner? BBQ pork ribs and orange ginger carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy. Just finished some baked orzo with two strips of turkey bacon chopped into it. Made the baked orzo (with egglplant sans eggplant) last night. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete