They are finally making my division of the company adhere to the corporate dress code. I heard rumbling about this two weeks ago and today, a Tuesday of all days, the e-mail has gone out. One of the rules is that there is to be no bare shoulders at any time, just like when you visit the Vatican. On 'Casual Friday' we can wear jeans that are in perfect shape and less formal shirts, though no novelty t-shirts or anything with a large slogan or emblem (and just when I got my super rad Better Myths cross-dressing shirt in the mail!) We can wear sneakers and 'deck shoes' on Fridays, but I don't really even know what 'deck shoes' are so I'm rather stumped. They sound like something preppy white people where aboard yachts, don't they?
I'm actually not that bummed about this because, as I've said, I'm super lazy about my clothing. That isn't to say that I don't like clothes or that I'm not girly (totally am) but my laziness far outweighs all my other feelings about this subject. But instead of getting gloomy and sighing with exhaustion at the very idea of this whole dressing like a real person/grown up every day idea, I've simply made a nice little plan. I have scheduled a transfer of funds from my ever dwindling savings account and will go shopping this weekend for self-made uniforms. I will purchase black and gray trousers, black skirts, black and gray blouses, a couple of blazer type jackets, and shoes. Well, I'll buy what I can afford with the money I'm allotting ($380; weird amount, I know, but I wanted to leave $1,000 in savings). The problem now is where to go because I'm so used to only going to Target and Kohls. But I'll e-mail my girlfriend and ask her for advice and just add it to the plan.
Why Dressing Myself Mayn't Matter Before Long
I am now training for a half-marathon that I am planning to attempt in October. My friend, Diego, forwarded me a link with a work-out schedule and told me to just do the first four weeks twice before moving on since I have the time. But I'm still nervous because work-out one calls for me to run two miles all in a row and I haven't even run a single mile all at once in who knows how long. But I will give it my best and stick with it. I've had to shelve the booze so that I can do this, and hope that I'll become inspired to eat right (doubtful). I'm terrified by this 13.1 mile run but also feel it is important to push myself and set goals for myself rather than stagnating. How accomplished would I feel if I actually did this? Super accomplished, that's how. And it might open up a new hobby for me, where I could run a lot and enjoy it and be healthy and all that bull shit. We'll see.
Getting to San Diego for this race is going to be nightmarish. I had to sit on the phone for an hour yesterday and then wait two hours for a call back because my flight had been changed. I will now be flying out of Columbus at 6:15 a.m. and making two transfers before reaching sunny California. I'll need to read up on how to avoid jet lag as best as I can. But! I'll get to visit a new city and do new fun things and meet new people. And I'll miss work and get to travel and all sorts of neat things! Really, this is just win win all around. Maybe I'll get to feel an earth quake (minor one please) and see sharks.
Random
Oh. My. God. My boss, who forwarded me an e-mail this morning, just came to my cube and said "you might want to forward that e-mail to your Muslim friend." Now, I hadn't read the e-mail (it was a forward after all) but I had skimmed it. Here I was thinking it was about skin transplants and how people donate cells or something. When Boss said that I thought "oh, maybe this was about a Muslim group who had started a skin cell bank" or something like that. So, in my stupidity, I got excited and told him about what my Muslim friend and her husband were doing, which is trying to get non-profit status for a legal program that provides legal help (with financial assistance) to Muslims in the community. My boss's response? He essentially said "does your friend make her clients show her their papers and swear an allegiance to our country, publicly denouncing the radical extremism?" I was stunned! He went on to say that anyone who does not stand up and publicly speak out against the terrorists are as bad as terrorists themselves. I told him that, as he is far more familiar with living in the Middle East and dealing with that tyranny than I (because he totally isn't), he of all people should know that there are many who are not terrorists but cannot speak up for fear of reprisal. He went on to say, in his red eyed, tea party, rage-filled way, that Muslim men in this country have nothing to fear. My response was "no, but their families back home do."
Had I only read that god damned e-mail I would have been prepared.
No comments:
Post a Comment