Sunday, February 13, 2011

WAH

Today I discovered my love for the ctrl+f feature of Microsoft Office products. On Friday I worked from home with the goal of updating the reviewer panel for our marketing department; unfortunately, I had so much preliminary data entry to do that I didn't get a chance to do this task until today, Sunday. 5 hours of my weekend were spent entering physician specialties and merging spreadsheets in an effort to update a table with the number of reviewers my company has who specialize in Anesthesiology, Neonatal/Perinatal Medicine, Gynecologic Oncology, etc. My laptop, recently repaired after I damaged my LCD screen slipping and breaking my ass on the ice, was hooked up to our network through corporate's shitty system and I had to look at a PDF report whilst entering the specialties into a spreadsheet. Ctrl+f came in super handy because the spreadsheet was organized by last name and the PDF by specialty. Thus, my love. In fact, spreadsheets in general are pretty rad. You can filter by x criteria, hide columns, paste copied cells, etc. Who knew I would, at the age of 30, understand what the big damn deal about excel is?

Working at home isn't as great as I thought it might be. I do it from time to time because I like to wear trousers with an elastic waist, not having to worry about my appearance, and fewer phone calls. But without the distraction of colleagues with whom I can gossip, I end up working straight through hour  after hour. I get a ton of work done, which is a positive but I end up feeling like I'm trapped and tied to my desk. In the office, if I go and chat with someone for 15 minutes, that's fine. If I'm at home and want to take 15 minutes to read a magazine article, I feel guilty and like I have to work an extra 15 minutes at the end of the day. So double edge sword is working at home for me. But I will always take advantage of the opportunity when I can, just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment