I get thrown off every so often during NPR fundraising weeks. To be fair, I think I do a fair amount of just making assumptions and then being bewildered when they are wrong. Take Sunday for instance. On Sunday I put on the radio whilst doing a few chores and the programs that were playing were not what I expected for those times on that day. I actually had a moment of panic and checked my phone to make sure that it was, indeed, Sunday and that I hadn't overslept on a Monday. I'm not sure if there was a schedule change or if I've just always assumed X whilst Y was correct but it was rather disconcerting.
On Monday, however, it was all NPR and zero me. I was making my lunch when Sam Baker's voice came on to announce that it was four minutes after 10 and I literally stopped what I was doing and stood still for a minute. He then started saying how we were going to be moving to local news from international news and that's when it clicked. KERA reruns The Texas Standard at 8 o'clock in the evening having originally aired it at 10 a.m. Before it hit me, however, I really wondered if I were going mad because that was twice within two days when I felt I was completely off time-wise. It's like how on Thanksgiving when I was driving to SA's place I suddenly felt like the roads were utterly foreign to me even though I'd driven them countless times in the past. That happens every so often (rarely, fortunately) and is usually contained to my suddenly not recognizing the street he lives on and questioning myself about everything. It's like I go memory blind for a moment.
Never fun.
Speaking of things being no fun, poor Bubbles had a miserable time recently. I noticed on a Sunday that she was winking at me an awful lot and that her right eye looked funny. My vet didn't have any appointments available that day but I got her in at 9:30 the following morning. The doctor told me that it appeared she'd gotten a superficial cut on her eye and that it had healed and gotten infected so now she has a lot of conjunctivitis. That required a cone collar to prevent her from pawing at it and my having to give her drops twice a day. She is just so pitiful. Here is a photo of her in her least pitiful moment post collar.
There were moments that were far more heartbreaking after that though. Seeing her walk into things, having to back up and try again when the collar hit something. Finding her in my closet just sitting and facing the built in. Her sleeping right next to me all night the first night because she was so unhappy. Finding her after work, one of her legs stuck through the collar.
It's been awful and I just need it to be over. I don't like tormenting animals by holding them down so I can squeeze things into their eyes! I hate seeing them struggle to do things because they can't see or whisker feel around them! I also feel like a complete asshole because I had no idea she'd gotten a cut on her eye. I mean, I know that cats are pretty notorious for hiding discomfort but still, it is terrible learning that your pet has been in distress and you were blithely unaware of it.
Fortunately, the drops seem to help pretty quickly and I've been getting better at it. I have a call into the vet to ask about it spreading to the other eye because I think it might have done (and by the time this is published, it hopefully will be as I have a follow up appointment that Monday. Bless Blogger's scheduling function).
Poor Bubbles. She is going to get some lovely canned food tonight.
On Monday, however, it was all NPR and zero me. I was making my lunch when Sam Baker's voice came on to announce that it was four minutes after 10 and I literally stopped what I was doing and stood still for a minute. He then started saying how we were going to be moving to local news from international news and that's when it clicked. KERA reruns The Texas Standard at 8 o'clock in the evening having originally aired it at 10 a.m. Before it hit me, however, I really wondered if I were going mad because that was twice within two days when I felt I was completely off time-wise. It's like how on Thanksgiving when I was driving to SA's place I suddenly felt like the roads were utterly foreign to me even though I'd driven them countless times in the past. That happens every so often (rarely, fortunately) and is usually contained to my suddenly not recognizing the street he lives on and questioning myself about everything. It's like I go memory blind for a moment.
Never fun.
Speaking of things being no fun, poor Bubbles had a miserable time recently. I noticed on a Sunday that she was winking at me an awful lot and that her right eye looked funny. My vet didn't have any appointments available that day but I got her in at 9:30 the following morning. The doctor told me that it appeared she'd gotten a superficial cut on her eye and that it had healed and gotten infected so now she has a lot of conjunctivitis. That required a cone collar to prevent her from pawing at it and my having to give her drops twice a day. She is just so pitiful. Here is a photo of her in her least pitiful moment post collar.
There were moments that were far more heartbreaking after that though. Seeing her walk into things, having to back up and try again when the collar hit something. Finding her in my closet just sitting and facing the built in. Her sleeping right next to me all night the first night because she was so unhappy. Finding her after work, one of her legs stuck through the collar.
It's been awful and I just need it to be over. I don't like tormenting animals by holding them down so I can squeeze things into their eyes! I hate seeing them struggle to do things because they can't see or whisker feel around them! I also feel like a complete asshole because I had no idea she'd gotten a cut on her eye. I mean, I know that cats are pretty notorious for hiding discomfort but still, it is terrible learning that your pet has been in distress and you were blithely unaware of it.
Fortunately, the drops seem to help pretty quickly and I've been getting better at it. I have a call into the vet to ask about it spreading to the other eye because I think it might have done (and by the time this is published, it hopefully will be as I have a follow up appointment that Monday. Bless Blogger's scheduling function).
Poor Bubbles. She is going to get some lovely canned food tonight.

No comments:
Post a Comment