Saturday, March 7, 2015

Broken Wine Glasses and Dating as An Audition for a Friend

Shattered
I'm feeling slightly better, mainly because I refuse to allow myself to wallow too much because get it together gurllll, you have an awesome life. But yoga and this site helped as well. A quick warning about the tumblr I linked: it needs more content because OH MY GOD IT IS SO GOOD.

So. I don't consider myself a clumsy person by nature. I mean sure, I fall and run into things and that sort of stuff but I'm not a butter fingers and I suddenly have the reflexes of a mongoose when I'm about to drop something or someone throws something my way. Except when it comes to wine glasses. I know what you are thinking "yeah, drinking will do that to you" but I think I've only broken one wine glass whilst actually drunk. The others have been when I was washing them or I had just poured a glass and bumped the table and the fucker broke even though it hit the carpet. Carpet for pity's sake! So I have one proper wine glass left and decided I'd buy a set if I could find it for cheap. And I did! I found four glasses for $9.99 at Ross today and was rather pleased (I also found a set of chip clips in the shape of monkey faces for under $3 in case you were interested). Then I got home and went to put them away.

A: They do not fit in my cupboards because they are too tall.
B: I'm pretty sure these are wine enthusiast glasses because I'm pretty sure I can fit a full can of soda in one.

I get it. People have large glasses for red wine so they can swirl it around to aerate it and get a sense of its legs (I even know what that means) and all of that but seriously? The, uhm, where you put the wine portion of the glass is legit the size of a a softball.

Oh, I also bought a vase. I have one, but I use it for kitchen utensils. I bought a vase so that I'd be prepared should I or - preferably - a nice young man buys me flowers. I've a few exes who refuse to buy bouquets of flowers because they are just going to die and they'd rather buy a plant, which will last. I'll never get that thinking. For one, girls like me really like bouquets of flowers so refusing to buy them is really more about the guy than the girl. Also, yes, a plant will last way longer but let's face it, when it comes to me, the love or the like or the relationship probably won't last. I do NOT need a reminder of you if we break up. Relationships - with me at any rate, I'm sure my brothers and BFF will all end up with matching tomb stones (and I mean that in the least morbid way possible) - are ephemeral and don't last. So why not just buy me a nice bouquet to put in a vase that I can look at. Besides, I have house plants so yours will just blend in.

A girl likes flowers damn it.

Dating
In other news, I'm still sort of dating. I've had two dates the guy with a kid who is shorter than me and who is totally fine if we just end up friends. I think we might just end up friends because I have a feeling he has a lot of "issues" and I don't have the energy for that. I mean, look at me! I have issues and I have them in check 92% of the time and I'm 34 and getting better at it every year. Dude is 40 and I feel like he should be even better at keeping his shit in check than I am because for one, he is 6 years older and for two, he's a fucking parent and in my head, being a parent, whilst allowing you to remain a human, makes you more mature and together. That sounds grossly unfair seeing as age and parenthood cannot suddenly fix the chemical structure of your brain but I also get the sense that this guy isn't doing anything about it. I know he's tried medication and had bad side effects so I'm not knocking him on that but there are many other drugs and there are many other therapies to try and I just get this feeling that he's one of those people who sort of revel in their depression.

I'm sorry but I have no time for that. I suffer from stupid shit but I take medicine and, when I need to, reach out to friends. I am accountable for my behavior, good and bad, and learn from my mistakes and do my best to see the sunny side of things. I'm fortunate in that looking for the bright side has always come naturally to me.

Maybe I just don't envision myself with a pessimist. He is super smart though, which is a huge turn on. I mean J was - and is - so fucking smart and that was what drew me to him, his great intelligence (and his sense of humor, of course). It's been awhile since I've dated a guy who is so clearly smarter than me. Batman was more capable in a lot of ways but I'm used to that because I've not really had many opportunities to learn woodshop or autobodyshop or whatever. And that was one of the few good parts of our relationship. But with this new guy, I fucking take notes when he talks sometimes (and he's fine with it though he did think it was cute I was using a crayola marker) because it's interesting and I want to remember it so I can think about it when I'm on my own.

He's also very understanding and likes me a lot and routinely tells me that I'm attractive and all that stuff girls (me!) like to hear. But I don't know. I'm taking it very slowly and will report when I have any news.

Enjoy the weekend, I have yoga to do.

1 comment:

  1. A fancy lady such as yourself needs a shower wine caddy. So one can have a place to hang their wine so they can partake whilst showering.
    http://www.amazon.com/WaveHooks-Wine-Glass-Holder-Purple/dp/B00M07HF5O/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1425855349&sr=1-1&keywords=shower+wine+glass+holder

    ReplyDelete