Saturday, March 16, 2013

Benefits of being kind of poor

I'm not impoverished by any stretch of the imagination but I do live paycheck to paycheck and don't know what it is like to live differently. Who does at this point in the U.S.? But this has it's benefits.

When I met J, we were both in college with no money. We both graduated and got shitty jobs that paid low wages. We couldn't afford anything so when we moved out of our family homes, we brought what we could from home. When we moved to Ohio it was excruciating. Packing up everything into a small uhaul and driving it with my car attached was brutal. I decided then and there that I was never owning anything nice until I was where I was going to live for a very long time.

At this point, I have three pieces of furniture that I have to move: a bookcase that my grandfather built, my childhood nightstand, and my brother's childhood desk. I also feel that I must move my bed because it isn't even two years old. Everything else is disposable and was acquired from the side of a dumpster, outside a liquor store, or was given to me by someone else who was moving. If I have anything that seems "nice" it was totally free. So I'm moving with not a lot of stuff and will have a fresh start.

Tits came over this morning and helped me throw things out and pack a few things. On Saturday night I had a guy come to my door from an energy supplier who wanted to sell me on their product. I told him I'd already signed up and we got to talking. Next thing I know, he's in my apartment and I'm showing him my guinea pig and then he's picking out stuff he wants. When I get back from Dallas I'll give him a call and he'll come back with a friend and his wife to take his stuff and help me move the rest to the dumpster. The fucking mid west, man, it's unbelievable.

I'm still overwhelmed of course. After Tits left I didn't do a damned thing. I just sat and thought about how I can't do this. Then I remembered all the shit Tits and I talked about and I realized that of course I can. She did something similar about a year or so ago and under circumstances that were totally shitty. She's a tough broad and you'd never know it unless she told you but she's been to parts of hell you can't even imagine. But she made it through and when you ask politely "how are you?" in the hallways, she always says "can't complain." She says that shit so often I told her I'd teach her how to complain if she wanted.

It's funny. I've known Tits for less than six months but consider her a really good friend. We have both told each other things with the disclaimer of "what I'm about to tell you goes to your grave." I'm really sad to leave her. I'm sad to leave a lot of my friends. Here was my first East Coast girl and I'm leaving her (OK, Storm is from Jersey but she's not lived there in forever). This happened before. I moved to Ohio and met BFF and we got close. We spent every weekend together at one point but then she moved to Florida. I'm doing that now, only instead of moving with my stuff to be back where my family is, I'm erasing my life in a lot of ways and moving to Texas where I have zero family.

It is daunting and scary. But I have the motivation and inspiration from Tits to tell me to suck it up and do it. If nothing else, I'm not going to let her call me a pussy so I have to do this. And whatever, I don't entertain now so I don't have to think about how I can't invite people over because I'll have three chairs and a bed and nowhere else to sit. 

 ead, and calling me a pussy.

No comments:

Post a Comment