Thursday, January 7, 2016

A Tale of Two Evenings

Tuesday Evening
After returning to the office after a very long weekend, I pretty much spent the work day trying to find busy work because I've got nothing on at the moment. But I powered through where I could and actually left the office at lunch in order to grab a few groceries (thus avoiding after work chores) and a sandwich. My friend, Tig, accompanied me so it was more enjoyable than a solitary outing. So an unremarkable morning and afternoon, really.

But the evening was so, so lovely! I watched a couple episodes of Midsomer Murders whilst knitting a scarf (which I actually finished). I took a deliciously hot bath and lit candles and made it very relaxing and all of that. I also read a murder mystery that seemed just perfect for my mood. Afterwards, I turned out the lights and snuggled up on my sofa with a brandy and watched the first half of the final Poirot, The Curtain. I know that doesn't sound all that exciting or noteworthy to pretty much anybody but it was perfect for me and I felt extremely content. I thought about how wonderful my life is - even if my life is not perfect of grand - and almost sent the Bat a message thanking him for being part of it. I didn't, however, as that could have been read as a goodbye text from a suicidal individual. I just waited to tell him the next day.

Wednesday Evening
Yo, I have no idea what was going on with Wednesday. The Bat sent me a message that I read as "I want to come over for dinner and I can also load you up with firewood." That sounded fine to me for our date night, so I just messaged back asking him to pick up some beer. It wasn't until about 5 pm that I looked at my phone and realized that the message was actually "If you want to come for dinner I can load you up with firewood." I politely declined and was a bit miffed because I went to his house almost every single day last week and I honestly don't think it is too much to ask for him to spend one evening at my place. This is a bone of contention between us and I don't know that we'll ever resolve the issue.

But I persevered and decided to make myself some dinner. Do you know those bags of pasta you can get from the freezer section of the grocery store? I bought three of those some time ago and they've just been sitting there. So I took out a margharitta penne one and slapped it into a pan. There was quite a bit of frost on it so I didn't have high hopes, which was good because the meal was pretty terrible and I ended up just eating the noodles. Even clean up was a pain because the cheese appeared to have been made of glue that stuck to the pan and the bowl regardless of the fact that I'd thrown them both in the sink with hot water and soap immediately after using them.

At least my hunger was curbed, I thought. I knew I had to take a shower and wash my hair, which I wasn't looking forward to, so I forced myself to just get it over with. Every now and again, I don't have hot water in the bathroom. Last night was one of those times and I took an absolutely frigid shower. I texted the Bat and told him between my shitty dinner and frozen shower, I appeared to be playing the part of a Dickensian orphan. Only this orphan has Netflix so I settled in to watch more mysteries and continue working on this massive scarf I was trying for Monkey. Guess what? The scarf was a wash because it just did not turn out right. I'm out of yarn at the moment (I can unravel the monster scarf but I'm not a fan of the color) and I am also, sadly, out of firewood because, despite promises made to me for months, I've not have any wood supplied to me.

My evening was so comically awful that I couldn't even be mad or sad about it. I just stood on the outside of it thinking "wow. What French farce is this?"

The Point
There really isn't much a point. I just wanted to show the juxtaposition of my evenings because they were so polar opposite from one another that it makes me giggle. Maybe I'm in for a middle of the road evening tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment