Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cause the last post was getting on my nerves

Hmm
Someone was parked in my complex with one of those organ donor license plates. It was also a vanity plate with the text "DED GRL". Kind of freaked me out. I don't think I can donate anymore so when I updated my license I said "nah" to the "do you still want to be a donor question" because who wants my organs?

But I can give blood. My company did a blood drive this morning and I was one of the first. The techs were hilarious, smoking in the parking lot before the start and joking around during the whole process. The really funny part was the crossing of my fingers, hoping I could donate. I missed the last one because my RBC had dropped to an abnormal low after I'd had so much blood taken to figure out what was wrong with me. All I can say is that the Red Cross folks today were thumbs up.

But seriously, DED GRL with an organ donor plate? Soooo many questions. A woman at work has a vanity plate of RAD TECH and when I asked her, she said it was a long story. I didn't push her because it used to be her brother's jeep and so I assume, horribly, that her brother was either training to be a radiology technologist or was one and he's since died. I might be gossipy and snarky and a "I NEED TO KNOW ALL" but I do have a modicum of tact.

Funny what the world throws at you with bumper stickers, decals, tee shirts, and vanity plates. If I'm rocking one of my rad MS shirts like the hippo one that says "You know you're jealous, you don't even have one sclerosis and here I have multiple", you know, you can ask me and I'll just say "I have multiple sclerosis, it sucks, but you gotta have fun with it". But I don't have the balls to ask DED GRL about her donor plate because I don't know if I have it in me to hear the story. I will, eventually, ask my friend about RAD TECH because she is a Broad and so we are tight. But it is hard to start that conversation because you don't want to overstep your bounds.

Election
I got cable on Sunday. Some dude from Insight came to my door on Friday and offered me a great deal. For $15 more a month, I get wifi (so can use more than one computer at a time) and cable TV. This is how you get me; come to my house, tell me what you have, and sign me up on the spot. I'm paying a fair price and get TV (and FOOTBALL!!!!!) and wireless internet which is rad. Yet I didn't watch the debate last night. If it had been on earlier, I would have, but I was tired. That and I already know who I'm voting for and only have about three locals to research to decide who to vote for in my county elections. I'm not voting for Romney or Obama, regardless of the fact that I know one of those two will win. I agree more with Gary Johnson and so I've colored in his little oval. And, OK, if you hate politics, skip the next paragraph.

You know, there are, actually, more than two candidates. I'm voting for Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate. He isn't going to win but I have a weird loyalty to what the United States of America was meant to be and so I like to pretend and hope that all votes count. If either Romney or Obama had convinced me, even a little, I would have put my vote with them. I voted for Obama last time, and I don't regret it, though I do regret voting for Obama in the Primary because I did so only because I thought "this country will vote for any color of a man rather than a woman". I truly hope Hillary runs next term. I hate that people just vote down party lines. I have an absentee ballot because I can and I don't know where I will be during the actual day. I'm all over the place. Libertarian, Republican, Democrat, Green Party. I don't care about the party, I care about policy, and I actually research it. 

I've said it before and will say it forever unless things change: I do not agree with all the policies of my country but I consider myself lucky to have been born as a U.S. citizen. I take it seriously and I will rip you to shreds if you don't vote. "Well, I don't complain so I don't vote." No, you do fucking complain, you just don't realize that there are so many things that you complain about that are directly tied to politics. So I do my research and try to pick the candidate that I most agree with. I'd like for every vote count. I'd like this country to take voting as seriously as those where you can be killed for voting. Especially women, since I am a woman. Who fought and died for your right to NOT vote? That's right, girls, women fought and actually died for the right to vote. You don't? Really? Get in the kitchen and turn in your degree  because you've become complacent and think shit is just handed to you. Women literally died fighting for this right. Thank you for showing them that you care so much for their sacrifice. Do you realize that we still make less than men? Just asking.

Happy Fucking Holidays
I just found out that my company is planning on cancelling all Holiday Parties this year. I don't attend. I have not attended in the last four years due to my atheism and my whole "yeah, yeah, I know you think it is meaningless and non-religious but if that is so why are we having this fucking party at this time of year?"  So I don't attend but I'm pissed off anyway. My company did a survey of one office recently and the results were bad. We recently had a blog from our CEO that basically said "the beatings will continue until moral improves".  What's more, my division, one that comprises at least 400 employees, just sat through a 90-120 minute long presentation about where we are going and how we each matter. But fuck us, right? Fuck all of us. Maybe you enjoy the holiday party, maybe you've already put two months into the planning as directed by the higher ups but that doesn't matter. We just pretend we give a shit about you.

Like I said, I don't go to the party. If it was in the evening with an open bar, yeah, I'd totally compromise my principles. But I've worked here for almost five years and these are my friends, my family, and they enjoy it. They've had a lot of changes and now they have little to look forward to. Unless, of course, the offset of the holiday party cost goes into raises and bonuses but FAT FUCKING CHANCE OF THAT I say.

Last One
I'm really enjoying the tech wars these days.  I like how google and amazon and apple are all trying to come out with the thinnest, smallest tablet. I don't know why, but I find it kind of hilarious how people want fifty inch televisions in their living rooms but also want cracker sized smart phones/tablets/what have you. Super duper thin so that if you drop it, it'll crash all over into a gazillion pieces. I don't want to watch a television program or a movie on something the size of an index card. I don't want to have to bubble wrap my phone or iPod if I want to take it with me somewhere. I just think it is really, really ridiculous but I love watching it unfold.

That's it. I started this the other day, mainly because I'm tired of seeing my bruised up legs.

Perhaps this is punishment for honest feedback. "We want you to feel like you are part of the company, that you all have a huge part of what we do... but fuck you, work harder and ask for less."

2 comments:

  1. Frank is getting "upgraded" to an iPhone at work. Meaning he has to give up his very hard to kill Crackberry. As a result, I'm buying him this: http://www.fisher-price.com/en_US/brands/babytoys/products/64176

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. My cell phone is about three steps up from one of those plastic phones with jelly beans inside.

      Delete