On my way to work this morning, I realized that I've been off Facebook for a month now. Well, that's not entirely true. My personal account is shut down but I made a fake one just so I could work on a page that the Bat and I curate. I guess that is a loophole or whatever but I have a total of three friends, all involved in the page, and only sometimes post stupid status updates because I feel like it and have no expectations that anyone will respond. The Bat posts to my wall but that's about it. Facebook lite I guess we can call it.
Then I started thinking about the challenge of taking myself offline as much as possible. The Facebook page I need, as stated above. Gmail so I can keep in touch with certain people and chat with BFF throughout the day. Then I thought, well, what about this blog? Do I shut this down for a month as well as stop going to my usual sites and the blogs I like to read? Do I buy newspapers rather than go on news websites?
I can't go completely offline no matter what because of work. For one thing, I use it at work and need it if I work from home. For another, if I decide to look for a new job, the internet is possibly the best resource available for job searches.
But I think I'll try it. I'm going to attempt to minimize my internet time by weening off the snark site I love, not reading the blogs I either really like or hate read, and going to stupid sites when bored. Hopefully by March I'll be able to spend a month with just fake Facebook and Facebook shared page, gmail, and this blog. Oh, and GPS because I get hella lost.
This will probably be hard but hey, if I work at not going on line, I can avoid all the Valentine's Day stuff that is created to make singles depressed. Bright sides and silver linings folks.
Then I started thinking about the challenge of taking myself offline as much as possible. The Facebook page I need, as stated above. Gmail so I can keep in touch with certain people and chat with BFF throughout the day. Then I thought, well, what about this blog? Do I shut this down for a month as well as stop going to my usual sites and the blogs I like to read? Do I buy newspapers rather than go on news websites?
I can't go completely offline no matter what because of work. For one thing, I use it at work and need it if I work from home. For another, if I decide to look for a new job, the internet is possibly the best resource available for job searches.
But I think I'll try it. I'm going to attempt to minimize my internet time by weening off the snark site I love, not reading the blogs I either really like or hate read, and going to stupid sites when bored. Hopefully by March I'll be able to spend a month with just fake Facebook and Facebook shared page, gmail, and this blog. Oh, and GPS because I get hella lost.
This will probably be hard but hey, if I work at not going on line, I can avoid all the Valentine's Day stuff that is created to make singles depressed. Bright sides and silver linings folks.
No comments:
Post a Comment